Dear Colleagues,

We are excited to share with you our recent open access publication in
Biological Conservation entitled "Estimating age and investigating epigenetic
changes related to health across multiple bottlenose dolphin populations”. This
research enables chronological age determination through DNA analysis of BND
skin samples and also explores epigenetic changes in relation to health status.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0006320724001320
<https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0006320724001320>

Abstract

Epigenetic age estimation has the potential to influence conservation
approaches for wildlife. DNA extracted from a small skin sample can be analyzed
for methylation changes, which can be related to chronological age through an
epigenetic clock to obtain a DNA-based age estimate (DNAm age). For a wide
range of cetacean species, skin samples can be obtained remotely using dart
biopsy. We tested multiple modeling approaches (elastic net regression, random
forest regression, and a hybrid of elastic net and random forest
classification) using DNA methylation data from 426 skin samples from
observed-age wild bottlenose dolphins (Tursiops spp.), and 50 managed care
dolphins, to develop an epigenetic clock. The hybrid model gave highly accurate
age predictions for calf (<2 yrs., n = 28), subadult (2–15 yrs., n = 273) and
adult (15–25 yrs., n = 110) age classes with median absolute errors (MAE) of
0.149, 1.46 and 3.25 yrs., respectively. In the oldest individuals (>25 yrs., n
= 65), age predictions were less accurate, with MAE of 5.90 yrs. The overall
MAE across all ages (n = 476) was 1.91 yrs. DNAm age has been linked to health
in humans, with higher age residuals (i.e., higher DNAm age as compared to
actual age) being associated with increased risk of morbidity and mortality. We
compared dolphin age residuals with previously reported health scores that are
predictive of one year mortality risk. Our findings suggest that analysis of
DNA methylation patterns is a viable approach, not only for estimating age of
dolphins, but potentially also to assess individual and population health.

Cheers,

Dr. Ashley Barratclough
Conservation Medicine Veterinarian
National Marine Mammal Foundation