Join researchers from Scotland's Rural College (SRUC) for an evening sharing
our marine mammal research. Aimed at engaging members of the public those in
the Aberdeenshire area may still find it interesting to join and learn about
the citizen science aspects of the research taking place. The three talks on
the evening are:

SOS Puffin Dr Helen Anderson (Lecturer in Ecology, Scotland's Rural College
(SRUC))
Puffins are arguably everyone's favourite seabird. But at one of the UK's
largest puffin colonies numbers plummeted from over 10,000 to less than 1000 in
a few short years. The reason - a giant invasive plant called tree mallow. Find
out how tree mallow stopped these charismatic seabirds from breeding. Learn how
researchers and the Scottish Seabird Centre mustered an army of volunteers to
bring puffins back home.
Assessing Sustainability of Seal Tourism in the Ythan Estuary Claire Stainfield
(PhD Researcher, Scotland's Rural College (SRUC))
Management between recreation and biodiversity has multiple approaches to try
to achieve a protection framework to maintain human benefits, maximise
ecosystem protection and minimize environmental impacts. I plan to expand the
ecological knowledge of the seal population, explore modern social opinions and
land-use, and determine the infrastructure in place for seal tourism. The
overarching goal is to combine ecology with social science to help make a
robust assessment of land-use and explore the association between seals and
humans in relation to sustainability for seal tourism in the area.
Commotion in the Ocean Dr Sarah Marley (Senior Lecturer in Ecology, Scotland's
Rural College (SRUC))
Everyone pictures the ocean as clear waters, colourful fish, and a place of
relaxation. But the truth is, the marine environment is a dark and murky place.
As a result, the animals who live there have evolved to rely on sound - rather
than vision - to explore the world around them. From singing whales to
trumpeting fish to creaking lobsters, the underwater world is full of sound.
Researchers are using underwater microphones to eavesdrop on this aquatic
orchestra and learn more about the animals lurking beneath the waves. But we've
discovered a problem... Man-made noise pollution is changing the soundscape of
our ocean. Join us to learn more about this commotion in the ocean and what we
can potentially do to help silence our seas.
The event is running on the evening of Tuesday 14th May, doors open at 6:45pm.
At the Newburgh Inn, Newburgh, Aberdeenshire, AB41 6BP.
For more information on the event and to book a seat follow the link: Marine
Mayhem | Pint of Science<https://pintofscience.co.uk/event/marine-mayhem>