Dear MARMAM community,

We are pleased to announce our recent publication in the Journal of
Cetacean Research and Management:

Rychwalski AN, Herr H (2024) Short Communication: Lateralised
lunge­-feeding behaviour in Southern Hemisphere fin whales at Antarctic
feeding grounds. *J. Cetacean Res. Manage.* 25:23-29.
https://doi.org/10.47536/jcrm.v25i1.947

Abstract:

Balaenopterids use dynamic feeding lunges to capture prey, often performing
roll manoeuvres which may demonstrate a side preference or laterality. In
this study, we use aerial video footage of fin whales (Balaenoptera
physalus) feeding at Elephant Island, Antarctica, to investigate laterality
in the Southern Hemisphere fin whale subspecies B. p. quoyi. Right‐biased
lateralisation was observed in all 63 recorded side lunges, 57 of which
displayed visible lunge directions, the majority being clockwise (98.3%).
These results complement existing information on lateralised feeding
behaviour in Northern Hemisphere fin whales, confirming a strong
right‐sided bias across the different fin whale subspecies.

Open access link to article:
https://journal.iwc.int/index.php/jcrm/article/view/947

Please feel free to contact us with any questions you might have.

Best regards,

Alexander and Helena

—

Alexander N. Rychwalski

Institute of Marine Ecosystem and Fishery Science (IMF)

Center for Earth System Research and Sustainability (CEN)

University of Hamburg

Große Elbstrasse 133

22767 Hamburg, Germany

alexander.rychwal...@gmail.com

Tel. +49 15257612619

—

Dr. Helena Herr

Institute of Marine Ecosystem and Fishery Science (IMF)

Center for Earth System Research and Sustainability (CEN)

University of Hamburg

Große Elbstrasse 133

22767 Hamburg, Germany

helena.h...@uni-hamburg.de

Tel. +49 40 42838 6677

and

Alfred Wegener Institute

Helmholtz Centre for Polar and Marine Research (AWI)

Section Polar Biological Oceanography

AG Ecophysiology of Pelagic Key Species

Am Handelshafen 12

27570 Bremerhaven, Germany