Dear Marman Members,

The Institute for Marine Mammal Studies is currently conducting interviews
for our Research Internship Program this Fall. Below is a description of
the position.

Best Regards,

Kailey Pamperin

Research Program

Institute for Marine Mammal Studies

*Bottlenose Dolphin Photo-ID Program Fall Internship*

*Institute for Marine Mammal Studies (IMMS)*

*Gulfport, Mississippi*

Application Deadline: July 1st

Internship Dates: September - November

*Job Description*

IMMS’ Research Internship Program is designed to provide exceptional
research and learning experiences in a real-world setting to early career
scientists in the fields of marine biology and ecology, marine mammal
population ecology and behavior, veterinary sciences and conservation. In
this position, interns will primarily assist the institute’s Bottlenose
Dolphin Photo-ID Program in collecting and processing photographs of
bottlenose dolphins in the Mississippi Sound. Interns will also gain
diverse experience working in other program areas including marine mammal
and sea turtle stranding response, sea turtle surveys, aquaria maintenance
and animal care, and marine education and conservation.

*As part of a research team, primary duties include: *

Sort and process photographs of bottlenose dolphins

Conduct boat-based bottlenose dolphin photo-ID surveys up to 7 days per
month in estuarine and nearshore marine Gulf Coast waters. Dolphin surveys
generally take around 8 hours and may occur in challenging weather and
coastal conditions.

Photograph dolphins and collect survey data during boat-based field surveys

Match dolphin photographs to our catalog of known individuals using finFindR

Enter collected bottlenose dolphin and environmental data in
FinBase/Microsoft Access

Assist in diverse research efforts related to bottlenose dolphins, sea
turtles, and estuarine and near-shore marine ecology

When needs arise, assist other program areas including stranding response,
sea turtle surveys, animal care and marine education.

*Internship Requirements*

Applicants must be 18 years or older. Applicants should be actively
pursuing a college degree or be a recent graduate in biology, marine
science, marine biology, marine and estuarine ecology, oceanography or a
related field. Previous research experience is preferred. Applicants must
be able and willing to fulfill all of the duties described in this
internship position.

Internship positions are 40 hours per week (generally Mon-Fri/8 am-4 pm). As
needs arrive, responding to stranded dolphins and sea turtles, for
instance, interns may need to shift their schedules to assist our Stranding
Department in these efforts. Internship start and end dates for this Fall
are flexible. We do require a minimum of a 12-week commitment for this
internship position.

*Additional Information*

Research internships are unpaid positions. IMMS provides a $30
reimbursement per week for groceries. Interns are responsible for their own
housing and transportation.

Review of applications will begin immediately and will continue until the
positions are filled. To apply, please send a completed application form
(found on our IMMS website), resume (with 3 references), a copy of your
college transcripts, and a one-page statement of interest to
researchint...@imms.org. For information about the Institute for Marine
Mammal Studies, please visit our website https://imms.org/internship/.