Greetings all, based on our experiences in Chilean fisheries, see the link
below, we are giving a workshop in how to use the Bycatch Risk Assessment
Toolkit (ByRA) with varying amounts of data on gear and species.
(https://www.lenfestocean.org/en/news-and-publications/fact-sheet/new-research-to-assess-marine-mammal-bycatch-risk-in-chile

The workshop will be Sunday afternoon, from 13:30-17:30.  Please let us know
any questions.
[https://www.lenfestocean.org/-/media/post-launch-images/2021/04/delfn-comn_8810_msm/16x9_m.jpg]<https://www.lenfestocean.org/en/news-and-publications/fact-sheet/new-research-to-assess-marine-mammal-bycatch-risk-in-chile>
New Research to Assess Marine Mammal Bycatch Risk in
Chile<https://www.lenfestocean.org/en/news-and-publications/fact-sheet/new-research-to-assess-marine-mammal-bycatch-risk-in-chile>
In order to reduce marine mammal bycatch in Chile, managers and scientists need
to assess existing data to prioritize when and where regulations and monitoring
efforts could be most useful.
www.lenfestocean.org

Ellen Hines
Estuary & Ocean Science Center, San Francisco State University
ehi...@sfsu.edu<mailto:ehi...@sfsu.edu>

Maritza Sepulveda
University of Valparaiso
maritza.sepulv...@uv.cl<mailto:maritza.sepulv...@uv.cl>
Workshop Description:
Data gaps in fishing effort, bycatch rates, and the fate of animals
post-capture, and trends for populations impede assessment of bycatch and
constrain management action.  Working with governments to reduce bycatch has
been a driver for the creation of the open-source Bycatch Risk Assessment
(ByRA) toolbox, used to create spatially explicit bycatch risk analysis.  This
GIS toolbox allows spatial/temporal assessment and visualization of bycatch
risk using any amount or type of data, identifying areas for research and
management actions while accounting for uncertainty in results.  In Chile,
there are critical gaps about distribution and abundance for most marine mammal
species, and a lack of data on species most affected by fisheries bycatch. As
part of a Lenfest Ocean project including national and international scientists
and managers, we have analyzed existing data and generated methods to
characterize the spatial and seasonal distribution and abundance of fishing
boats, gear, and marine mammals. We have chosen 15 areas of presumptive high
bycatch risk nested in four larger regions along the coast of Chile, including
industrial and artisanal fisheries. For this workshop, we will demonstrate how
we modeled bycatch risk using examples of fisheries and marine mammal species
with varying amounts of data.  Examples will include: right whales/crab traps
(high uncertainty), sperm whales/artisanal Chilean sea bass (medium
uncertainty), Dusky dolphins and South American sea lions/Artisanal pelagic
purse-seine (low uncertainty). We will discuss how building collaborations with
researchers and institutions has been an important step towards identifying and
filling gaps in knowledge about cetaceans in Chile these past three years.  We
will schedule time for discussions on ByRA techniques for workshop
participants.  ByRA results can provide agencies with information on areas and
seasons of bycatch risk, and risk levels for fishing gear, which support
precautionary actions and policies, and inform future research and management.
Ellen Hines, PhD
Estuary & Ocean Science Center
Professor Emeritus, School of the Environment

San Francisco State University
3150 Paradise Dr
Tiburon, CA. 94940
ehi...@sfsu.edu<mailto:ehi...@sfsu.edu>

https://eoscenter.sfsu.edu/ellen-hines

Adjunct Scientist: Center for Coastal Studies, Provincetown, MA