Dear colleagues,

My co-authors and I are pleased to announce the publication of our open-access
paper in Scientific Reports:

McPherson, L., Badger, J., Fertitta, K., Bejder, L. (2024) Quantifying the
abundance and survival

rates of island-associated spinner dolphins using a multi-state open robust
design model.

Scientific Reports. 14, 14764. https://doi.org/10.1038/s41598-024-64220-3

Abstract:

Spinner dolphins (*Stenella longirostris *subsp.) occupy the nearshore
waters of several Hawaiian Islands. Due to their constrained behavioral
pattern and genetic isolation, they are vulnerable to anthropogenic
threats. Their occurrence and behavior are well-described, yet a lack of
data on their abundance and survival rates hinders optimal conservation
action. Using design-based photo-identification surveys, this study
estimated the abundance, apparent survival, and emigration of spinner
dolphins off the Waiʻanae Coast of Oʻahu through multi-state open robust
design (MSORD) and POPAN modelling. Eight seasonal field seasons, (two
winter, spring, summer, and autumn) each comprised of six surveys of the
study area, were completed during two consecutive years. Seasonal abundance
estimates derived from the best fitting model ranged from 140 (± 36.8 SE,
95% CI 84–232) to 373 (± 60.0, 95% CI 273–509) individuals and were lowest
during winter seasons. The MSORD estimated a survival rate of 0.95 (± 0.02
SE) and a Markovian pattern of temporary emigration. POPAN modelling
estimated a super-population size of 633 (± 78 SE, 95% CI 492–798),
reflecting the total number of individual dolphins that used the study area
during the entire study period. Additional research on circum- and
inter-island dolphin movements around and between Oʻahu and the Maui Nui
region may shed light on both seasonal movement patterns and overall
abundance for the Oʻahu/4-Islands stock. This work represents the first
systematic mark-recapture effort to assess the abundance and survival rates
of these highly exposed dolphins, providing valuable insights for
conservation and management.

The publication is open-access and available here:

Please feel free to contact me for further questions at: lia...@hawaii.edu

Thank you,

Liah McPherson

--