Dear MARMAM Community,
My co-authors and I are excited to share our new publication in Scientific
Reports titled "Foraging dives of southern right whales (Eubalaena
australis) in relation to larger zooplankton size prey availability in
Golfo Nuevo, Península Valdés, Argentina."

D’Agostino, V.C., Nocera, A.C., Abernathy, K., Muñoz Wilson, A.,
Coscarella, M.A., Degrati, M. Foraging dives of southern right whales
(Eubalaena australis) in relation to larger zooplankton size prey
availability in Golfo Nuevo, Península Valdés, Argentina. Sci Rep 14, 14211
(2024). https://doi.org/10.1038/s41598-024-63879-y

Abstract:
Southern right whales (SRWs, Eubalaena australis) have been observed
feeding both at and below the surface (< 10 m) in Golfo Nuevo (42°42′ S,
64°30′ W), Península Valdés, Argentina, an area traditionally recognized as
calving ground. In addition, we documented diving feeding behavior in SRWs
during their stay in this gulf, which has not been previously described. We
assessed this behavior using suction-cup-attached video-imaging tags
(CRITTERCAMs) on individual whales. A total of eight CRITTERCAM deployments
were successful, and feeding events were documented in all SRWs
successfully equipped with CRITTERCAMs. The highest speeds occurred during
the ascent phase, and the average diving time was 6 min 45 s ± 3 min 41 s
for SRWs. Concurrently, zooplankton samples were collected from the
subsurface and bottom of the water in areas where tagged whales dived to
assess differences in composition, abundance, and biomass. Copepods
dominated the upper layer, while euphausiids were more abundant in the
deeper sample. Furthermore, zooplankton total biomass was five times higher
at depth (2515.93 mg/m³) compared to the subsurface (500.35 mg/m³).
Differences in zooplankton characteristics between depths, combined with
CRITTERCAM videos, indicated that SRWs exploit high concentrations of
organisms near the seafloor during daytime feeding dives. This study
provides baseline insights into how SRWs utilize Península Valdés during
their stay in the area.

The article is open access and available here:
https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598-024-63879-y#citeas

Please reach out with any questions.
Cheers,
Valeria
(dagost...@cenpat-conicet.gob.ar)

--
Dra. Valeria C. D'Agostino
Investigadora - Laboratorio de Mamíferos Marinos

*CONICET*
<https://www.conicet.gov.ar/new_scp/detalle.php?id=46111&keywords=Valeria%2BD%26%2339%3B%2BAgostino&datos_academicos=yes>
 // *Google* <https://scholar.google.com/citations?user=7l-3q_8AAAAJ&hl=es>
*Scholar* <https://scholar.google.com/citations?user=7l-3q_8AAAAJ&hl=es>

"Lo que sabemos es una gota de agua; lo que ignoramos es el océano" -
*Isaac Newton*