Dear colleagues,

My co-authors and I are pleased to announce our new publication: Arias, M.,
Dans, S., Crespo, E. A., & González, R. A. C. (2024). Southern right whale
behavioral changes due to interactions with whale-watching vessels:
evidence-based calculations aimed at improving management policies. Marine
Mammal Science, e13149. https://doi.org/10.1111/mms.13149

Abstract: Interactions between whale-watching vessels and cetaceans have
raised questions regarding the sustainability of whale-watching. This study
aimed to build a model for managing whale-watching activity. The approach
involved establishing vessel-exposure thresholds based on changes in
short-term behavioral responses of southern right whales in the Bahía San
Antonio Marine Protected Area of Argentina. The model serves as a source of
information for management decision-making in whale-watching operations,
with an estimated framework for the maximum carrying capacity dictating the
vessel-exposure level that can be maintained with no significant changes in
the whales' activity budgets. The model, based on Markov chains, indicated
that surface active behavior was the form most sensitive to the presence of
tourism vessels. However, vessel exposure always remained below
nonsustainability threshold, defined as the amount of time that a whale
could be disturbed by vessels without significantly changing its activity
budget. Therefore, the observed changes were biologically insignificant.
Thus, whale watching in this area is developing with minimal impact on
southern right whales. An understanding of the exposure thresholds is
essential for establishing management strategies that enable sustainable
whale watching. This approach is crucial for setting limits within a
scenario of future growth and reducing activity when demand exceeds the
carrying capacity.

A PDF copy of the publication can be downloaded from:
http://doi.org/10.1111/mms.13149

Best regards,
Magdalena Arias
--