Dear MARMAM,

My co-authors and I are excited to share our recent work describing
spatiotemporal diet variability in Pacific resident killer whales:

Van Cise, A. M., Hanson, M. B., Emmons, C., Olsen, D., Matkin, C. O.,
Wells, A. H., & Parsons, K. M. (2024). Spatial and seasonal foraging
patterns drive diet differences among north Pacific resident killer whale
populations. Royal Society Open Science, 11(9), rsos240445.
https://doi.org/10.1098/rsos.240445

Abstract:
Highly social top marine predators, including many cetaceans, exhibit
culturally learned ecological behaviours such as diet preference and
foraging strategy that can affect their resilience to competition or
anthropogenic impacts. When these species are also endangered, conservation
efforts require management strategies based on a comprehensive
understanding of the variability in these behaviours. In the northeast
Pacific Ocean, three partially sympatric populations of resident killer
whales occupy coastal ecosystems from California to Alaska. One population
(southern resident killer whales) is endangered, while another (southern
Alaska resident killer whales) has exhibited positive abundance trends for
the last several decades. Using 185 faecal samples collected from both
populations between 2011 and 2021, we compare variability in diet
preference to provide insight into differences in foraging patterns that
may be linked with the relative success and decline of these populations.
We find broad similarities in the diet of the two populations, with
differences arising from spatiotemporal and social variability in resource
use patterns, especially in the timing of shifts between target prey
species. The results described here highlight the importance of
comprehensive longitudinal monitoring of foraging ecology to inform
management strategies for endangered, highly social top marine predators.

The paper is open-access and can be downloaded directly from RSOS
<https://doi.org/10.1098/rsos.240445>, from ResearchGate
<https://www.researchgate.net/publication/384109625_Spatial_and_seasonal_foraging_patterns_drive_diet_differences_among_north_Pacific_resident_killer_whale_populations>,
or from my lab's website <http://www.amyvancise.com/>.

Warm regards,
Amy

<*)))><  <*)))><  <*)))><  <*)))><  <*)))><  <*)))><  <*)))><  <*)))><
Amy M. Van Cise, Ph.D.
(she/her/hers)

Assistant Professor
Whale and Dolphin Ecology Lab <http://amyvancise.com>
University of Washington | School of Aquatic and Fisheries Sciences
1122 NE Boat St, Box 355020
Seattle, WA 98105
Office: SAFS 216B
206-221-6118

Need to meet with me? Let's find a time
<https://calendar.app.google/6S7FAok44L6n2TpF7>.

Where is Amy? [Spring 2024 edition]**
Monday: UW campus
Tuesday: UW campus
Wednesday: UW campus
Thursday: hiding (focus day)
Friday: UW campus

**This is not exact. If you can't find me, shoot me an email and I will get
back to you.

"My paper was one long gigantic blunder from beginning to end."
-Charles Darwin