Your specific questions, of the top of my head:

1.) You may want to look at lexeme priorities.  If not, yes, external
lexing may be what you need.

2.) There are several examples of ways to write multi-line comments.  One
is in the FAQ:
http://savage.net.au/Perl-modules/html/marpa.faq/faq.html#q110

3.) Yes, but only via external lexing.

4.) Not sure this answers your question, but L0 rules allow full Marpa
syntax.

5.) For a large language, this can be a very hard call.  Note that you
*can* switch back and forth -- you can use the SLIF for some lexemes, and
use events to switch to external processing for others.

Quick answers, but I hope they help, jeffrey