There is predominantly physical and predominately mental labor, but both involve some
mental processing of information. In this regard, information would be a use value
consumed in the production process. Like any use value, it is thereby a basis for an
exchange value.

In general, the use value of information may have its origin in the stomach or in
fancy.  For example, people have been buying the Bible as a source of useful
information for many years.

Charles Brown

Rob Schaap wrote:

>Now, let's think about the purported engine for the new capitalism:
>information.  There is labour (anything produced for exchange involves
>labour per se), and as it will be calibrated by way of money, we might speak
>of abstract labour.  Or might we?  Where lies the relationship between use
>value (theoretically put there by concrete labour) and exchange value
>(abstract labour) when it comes to information?

"Information" itself is an empty concept. Information about what? Capital
flows are a kind of information. So are chip designs and patented
engineered molecules. So is Ally McBeal. So what exactly are we talking
about here?

Doug