Rob,
Here are some comments:

>>> Rob Schaap <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> 01/13 9:34 AM >>>
G'day Thaxists,

Just wondering if I got any of the following wrong.

The possibility of real historical change in the world comes with the
introduction of philosophy into it, no?  Human beings, and nothing else, can
author real historical change - change by and for humanity.
______

Charles: I'm not sure what you mean by
"real" history. Philosophy starts with the
Greeks 2500 years ago ( I won't do
my Afrocentered thing on how there is
a lot of philosophy in Egypt before that;
See _Stolen Legacy_ for example). There
was a lot of human history before that.

Also, there is natural history. Marx says
in the first Preface to Capital that
for him political economy is an
extension of natural history. Nature
has a history. That is a dialectical
understanding of it. Darwin supplies
a big jolt to get beyond creationism,
i.e. every species created at one time
and not having history. Kant demonstrated
that the solar system has a history.
_________

Without
conscious human reproduction/transformation, there is only pre-history.
History therefore begins only when humanity has its hands on the wheel and
knows it has it there.
______

Charles: Only humans can make
things-in-themselves into things-for-us.
______

The application of correct philosophical method to the real stuff of the
world is the prerequisite for real change.  In other words, applying the
dialectic to the material,  (the notion of thesis, antithesis and synthesis
applied to society, whose reproduction has ever been based upon internal -
and dynamically stressful, and therefore immanently changeable - allocations
of control over its economic order) is the first step into history.
_______

Charles: Oh I see. You are talking about
Marx's comment that we have been in
pre-history while class struggle unconsciously
determined changes. However, in this
case it is the working class overthrowing
the bourgeoisie and ALL class society
that begins real history. Marx and Engels
seemed to phrase it that their discovery
of materialist dialectics was a reflection
of the rise of the capitalism and the
proletariat,not that their applying
philosophy to the world makes the
change.
_______

Comradely,

Charles

I may not have put it as uncontentiously well as it could be put, but it is
my suspicion my bits of clumsy paraphrasing come close to describing the
guts of the politics shared by most assembled here.

And if that's right, we gotta ask why we're getting so hot under the collar
on the relationship between the dialectic and materialism, don't we?

And if I'm wrong, I'm about to blush prettily and mebbe learn something of
significance ... for a change.

Cheers,
Rob.