Detroit’s Economic Crisis and the Role of the Banks: We Are Not Alone
in This Fight

The local crisis is mirrored around the United States and the world

By Abayomi Azikiwe
Editor, Pan-African News Wire
Note: The following address was delivered at a public meeting
organized by the Moratorium NOW! Coalition to Stop Foreclosures,
Evictions and Utility Shut-offs on the role of the banks in the
financial ruin of the city of Detroit. The event was held at the
Central United Methodist Church on May 4, 2013. This gathering was
co-chaired by Debbie Johnson and Andrea Egypt of the Moratorium NOW!
Coalition.
Since late March the city of Detroit has been under a so-called
“financial emergency” where right-wing multi-millionaire Gov. Rick
Snyder designated Kevyn Orr, a bankers’ agent, to head this
municipality in total contravention of the political will of people
not only here but around the state. When the announcement of emergency
management was made, the corporate media never bothered to mention
that a large majority of people within Michigan had just voted against
Proposal II which would have changed the constitution to ensure
payments to the banks irrespective of the interests of the people of
this area.

Public Act 436 is nothing but a legislative and executive mechanism to
further impoverish, exploit, oppress and repress the people of Detroit
and Michigan. There is nothing good in this new law, which was passed
illegally as an appropriation’s bill so it cannot be overthrown
through referendum, it will only result in even more damage being done
to the city and the state of Michigan.

Let’s just take a quick glance at what the banks have done so far to
the city of Detroit. Over the last census period some 237,000 people
were driven from the city through predatory lending, utility
shut-offs, the flight of jobs and repression by the state apparatus.

When the city loses residents it means that tax revenues go down and
this inevitably results in a greater drain of resources for the
payment of civil servants and the maintenance of municipal services
like public lighting, public transportation, public schools, etc. The
banks who evicted the residents of Detroit do not pay taxes on the
seized properties many of which now are controlled by Fannie Mae and
Freddie Mac who are deadbeat property occupiers themselves.

At present there is no viable or legitimate government running the
City of Detroit. The current corporate-imposed Mayor and majority City
Council voted to abdicate their authority to the state and
consequently the banks which have ruined Detroit.

Just last month this same Mayor and majority City Council voted to
hand over another $3.3 million to Jones Day law firm, a multi-billion
dollar outfit that was involved in the much-championed Chrysler
bailout in 2009. These forces, which are the enablers behind Orr, were
part of the auto pre-packaged bankruptcy that led to the loss of tens
of thousands of jobs, the slashing of salaries and the
institutionalization of a two and three-tier wage structure and
attacks on the eight-hour day.

Jones Day is being contracted to supposedly restructure the debt for
the city. We know that whatever they decide to do will not involve the
people of Detroit.

We also know that the type of restructuring they are talking about has
nothing to do with the interests of the people of the city which
includes the need for jobs, economic opportunities, housing
rehabilitation, municipal services, the re-building of public
education, public transportation, food security, the maintenance of
our water system and other public assets.

It’s Not Just Detroit

The imposition of emergency management has been enacted in all of the
major centers of African American population groups throughout the
state. At present the African American people of Michigan are under
dictatorial rule and corporate fascism.

In essence what the banks and corporations are saying through their
agents in the state and local government institutions is that people
of color and working people in general cannot govern themselves. Yet
if we look at what the state has done to Detroit, Highland Park,
Flint, Benton Harbor, Inkster, Ecorse, Muskegon, Pontiac, etc., it has
only further driven down living standards and forced more people out
of the cities.

This in fact is a nationwide pattern involving many municipalities
from California to New York State. In Stockton, California, the city
is currently in bankruptcy court seeking Chapter 9 relief from the
banks and bond insurers.

The position of the corporate interests in Stockton is that there is
no crisis—that the city has money to pay the banks first as opposed to
addressing the decline in services and the threatened pension and
healthcare systems for workers. This is also taking place in San
Bernardino, California where they are also seeking bankruptcy relief
from creditors and considering legal action against the state which is
threatening to withhold tax revenue because the city government does
not want to turn it all over to the bankers.

San Bernardino city officials are now facing a recall campaign that is
being initiated by the business community. What these proponents of
the recall are not saying is that the banks and bondholders are at the
root of the crisis and not the local politicians including the Mayor
and City Council.

Other cities and municipalities in similar situations that have drawn
national attention include Jefferson County, Alabama, Providence,
Rhode Island, Harrisburg, Pennsylvania, as well as several counties in
New York State.

The municipal bond market is now a $3.7 trillion industry where the
banks are holding the future of the cities hostage to their own
economic and political interests. The same credit default swaps (CDS)
that drove the housing industry and the overall economy into ruin are
being utilized at greater levels within municipal finance.

These developments pose opportunities for greater alliances nationally
to address the crisis of the cities. We must work to form a united
front among municipalities that are being ruined by the economic
crisis in the U.S.

This is a Worldwide Crisis

The crisis is just not limited either to the U.S. Europe, the second
leading center of global finance, countries and their state structures
are being driven into deeper depression.

Just yesterday in Portugal, workers went on strike in response to the
announcement earlier in the week that 15,000 government employees
would be removed from their positions. Unemployment rates are
astronomical and austerity has been imposed for several years.

It is the European Central Bank acting on behalf of the other
financial institutions that are at the root of this attack on public
jobs and benefits. In Spain, Greece, Belgium, Italy, Iceland, Cyprus
as well as France and Britain, public and private industry workers are
being downsized, having forced salary and benefits cuts imposed and
driven even deeper into poverty.

In Spain, like in the state of Michigan, the government changed the
constitution in order to ensure debt payments to the banks. In Greece
they have cut the pension payments to retirees many of whom now cannot
afford to buy food.

In some of these European countries like Spain, the official
unemployment rate is way above 25 percent. People are out of work or
working without paychecks for months and totally dependent upon
charities for handouts of food and other assistance.

These realities must inform our approach to the crisis in Detroit. The
corporate media would have us believe that since we are Black that
this is the reason behind our underdevelopment and impoverishment.

Racism is used in an effort to isolate and alienate us from the
suburbs which are also facing a similar crises of foreclosures, cuts
to public education, job losses and business closures. The federal
government has totally abandoned the cities through the destruction of
public housing, the failure to provide relief to victims of
foreclosure, eviction, austerity, job losses and cuts in public
services.

Consequently, we are on our own as the people. We must self-organize
based upon our material and class interests. No other solution will
bring benefits and results other than what we can do for ourselves.

The current crisis is a reflection not of the strength of the existing
system but its weakness. Our organization can be the decisive factor
in changing this scenario to benefit the majority of the people, the
99 percent, as opposed to the 1 percent, who are at the root of the
crisis.
Distributed By: THE PAN-AFRICAN RESEARCH AND DOCUMENTATION PROJECT--
E MAIL: panafnewsw...@gmail.com
==============================
Related Web Sites
http://panafricannews.blogspot.com