http://www.cadenagramonte.cu/english/index.php/show/articles/14250:fao-sends-congratulatory-letter-to-fidel-castro

Monday, May 6, 2013

FAO Sends Congratulatory letter to Fidel Castro

2
Havana, Cuba, May 6.- José Graziano da Silva, Director-General of the
United Nations Organization for Food and Agriculture (FAO), sent a
congratulatory letter to Fidel Castro, historic leader of the Cuban
Revolution, from Rome, Italy, on April 29, which we reproduce in full
below:

Dear Commander:

I have the honor to address you in my capacity as Director-General of
the United Nations Organization for Food and Agriculture (FAO), to
sincerely congratulate you and all the Cuban people for having
fulfilled the goal set in advance by the World Food Summit, held in
Rome in November 1996, and that he proposed to halve the number of
undernourished people in each country by the year 2015.

As you may recall, you honored us with his presence in that Summit and
delivered a brief but powerful speech, which still lingers in the
collective memory of our Organization. You concluded by saying: "the
bells that toll today for those who die of hunger every day, will toll
tomorrow for humanity if it refused, failed or could not be wise
enough to save them." And they say that you said in the press
conference that followed the Summit that even if the target were
achieved we would not know what to say to the other half of humanity
if it would not be freed from the scourge of hunger. They are concepts
that until today still retain its meaning and value.

It's been 17 years since then and now I have the great pleasure to
inform you that the decision of its members and for the first time in
its history, the FAO Conference, to be held next June in Rome, take
the total eradication hunger as the number one goal of our
Organization.

At that time, we will pay a tribute to Cuba and 15 other countries
that have been most successful in reducing hunger. To all of them we
will give a certificate of recognition for having met the target of
the Summit in advance. The countries that accompany Cuba are: Armenia,
Azerbaijan, Chile, Fiji, Georgia, Ghana, Guyana, Nicaragua, Peru,
Samoa, Sao Tome and Principe, Thailand, Uruguay, Venezuela and
Vietnam.

Besides reiterating my congratulations on the significant success
achieved by your country, I wish you well-being and success for you
and all the Cuban people.

Yours with great esteem and appreciation,

José Graziano da Silva

(ACN)