Mike Ballard Wage-slavery is freedom.
Yesterday at 6:08am · Like
Charles Brown Yes, wage-slavery is so-called doubly "free". It is not
slave labor , so it is free relative to that. But the wage laborer is
"free" of owning any means of production, as pre-wage laborers did.
They have been deprived of any means of production which forces them
to sell their labor to live.
22 hours ago · Like
Charles Brown "One of the prerequisites of wage labor, and one of the
historic conditions for capital, is free labor and the exchange of
free labor against money, in order to reproduce money and to convert
it into values, in order to be consumed by money, not as use...See
More
Pre-Capitalist Economic Formations by Karl Marx
www.marxists.org
As these were not intended for publication, but rather Marx’s
self-clarification...See More
22 hours ago · Like · Remove Preview
Charles Brown What does the primitive accumulation of capital, i.e.,
its historical genesis, resolve itself into? In so far as it is not
immediate transformation of slaves and serfs into wage labourers, and
therefore a mere change of form, it only means the expropri...See More
Economic Manuscripts: Capital Vol. I - Chapter Thirty Two
www.marxists.org
Capital Volume One � What does the primitive accumulation of capital,
i.e ., its historical genesis, resolve itself into?
22 hours ago · Like · Remove Preview
Charles Brown nominally free labour
22 hours ago · Like
Fu Lin-lin Charles Brown, the freedom Marx spoke of in his Capital is
not to be questioned. I am rather referring to the freedom which the
people regard as theirs when they do their part in capitalism - their
role as wage workers.
5 hours ago · Unlike · 1
Charles Brown Uhhh I'm thinking about what ur saying...Yes, I think
what you are referring to is related to the "freedom" sarcastically
referred to by Marx as being "freed", as in deprived of ownership of
the means of labor. For, without means of labor , the wage laborer is
forced to self her labor to the capitalist for a wage; because the
capitalist owns all the means of production or means of labor,
instruments of production, raw materials, land, etc.
4 minutes ago · Like
Charles Brown This is part of what Marx calls alienation, I think.
Wage laborers are alienated or separated from the means of using their
labor to make things. Your thought can even , perhaps, get us to the
libertarian illusion of "freedom" in isolated individuals, or radical
individualism that is the idea underlying so many people's beliefs in
capitalism. It is libertarianism , in the radical individualism that
is the ethic of artists in capitalism, "do your own thing". There are
a million examples of this in the ideals of wage laborers under
capitalism.
about a minute ago · Like
Write a comment...

Liberty. A study in bourgeois illusion

________________________________

Source: “Studies in a Dying Culture,” first published 1938.
Republished 1977 in “The Concept of Freedom,” Lawrence & Wishart, London.
Transcribed: by Dominic Tweedie;
Proofed and corrected: by Guy Colvin, November 2005.

________________________________

Many will have heard a broadcast by H. G. Wells in which (commenting
on the Soviet Union) he described it as a “great experiment which has
but half fulfilled its promise,” it is still a “land without mental
freedom.” There are also many essays of Bertrand Russell in which this
philosopher explains the importance of liberty, how the enjoyment of
liberty is the highest and most important goal of man. Fisher claims
that the history of Europe during the last two or three centuries is
simply the struggle for liberty. Continually and variously by artists,
scientists, and philosophers alike, liberty is thus praised and man’s
right to enjoy it imperiously asserted.

I agree with this. Liberty does seem to me the most important of all
generalised goods – such as justice, beauty, truth – that come so
easily to our lips. And yet when freedom is discussed a strange thing
is to be noticed. These men – artists, careful of words, scientists,
investigators of the entities denoted by words, philosophers
scrupulous about the relations between words and entities – never
define precisely what they mean by freedom. They seem to assume that
it is quite a clear concept, whose definition every one would agree
about.

Yet who does not know that liberty is a concept about whose nature men
have quarrelled perhaps more than any other? The historic disputes
concerning predestination, Karma, Free-Will, Moira, salvation by faith
or works, determinism, Fate, Kismet, the categorical imperative,
sufficient grace, occasionalism, Divine Providence, punishment and
responsibility, have all been about the nature of man’s freedom of
will and action. The Greeks, the Romans, the Buddhists, the
Mahomedans, the Catholics, the Jansenists, and the Calvinists, have
each had different ideas of liberty. Why, then, do all these bourgeois
intellectuals assume that liberty is a clear concept, understood in
the same way by all their hearers, and therefore needing no
definition? Russell, for example, has spent his life finding a really
satisfactory definition of number and even now it is disputed whether
he has been successful. I can find in his writings no clear definition
of what he means by liberty. Yet most people would have supposed that
men are far more in agreement as to what is meant by a number, than
what is meant by liberty.

The indefinite use of the word can only mean either that they believe
the meaning of the word invariant in history or that they use it in
the contemporary bourgeois sense. If they believe the meaning
invariant, it is strange that men have disputed so often about
freedom. These intellectuals must surely be incapable of such a
blunder. They must mean liberty as men in their situation experience
it. That is, they must mean by liberty to have no more restrictions
imposed upon them than they endure at that time. They do not – these
Oxford dons or successful writers – want, for example, the
restrictions of Fascism, that is quite clear. That would not be
liberty. But at present, thank God, they are reasonably free.

Now this conception of liberty is superficial, for not all their
countrymen are in the same situation. A, an intellectual, with a good
education, in possession of a modest income, with not too uncongenial
friends, unable to afford a yacht, which he would like, but at least
able to go to the winter sports, considers this (more or less)
freedom. He would like that yacht, but still – he can write against
Communism or Fascism or the existing system. Let us for the moment
grant that A is free. I propose to analyse this statement more deeply
in a moment, and show that it is partial. But let us for the moment
grant that A enjoys liberty.

Is B free? B is a sweated non-union shop-assistant of Houndsditch,
working seven days of the week. He knows nothing of art, science, or
philosophy. He has no culture except a few absurd prejudices, his
elementary school education saw to that. He believes in the
superiority of the English race, the King’s wisdom and loving-kindness
to his subjects, the real existence of God, the Devil, Hell, and Sin,
and the wickedness of sexual intercourse unless palliated by marriage.
His knowledge of world events is derived from the News of the World,
on other days he has no time to read the papers. He believes that when
he dies he will (with luck) enter into eternal bliss. At present,
however, his greatest dread is that by displeasing his employer in
some trifle, he may become unemployed.

B’s trouble is plainly lack of leisure in which to cultivate freedom.
C does not suffer from this. He is an unemployed middle-aged man. He
is free for 24 hours a day. He is free to go anywhere – in the streets
and parks, and in the museums. He is allowed to think of anything –
the Einstein theory, the Frege definition of classes, or the doctrine
of the Immaculate Conception. Regrettably enough he does none of these
things. He quarrels with his wife, who calls him a good-for-nothing
waster, and with his children, who because of the means test have to
pay his rent, and with his former friends, because they can enjoy
pleasures he cannot afford. Fortunately he is free to remove himself
from existence, and this one afternoon, when his wife is out and there
is plenty of money in the gas-meter, he will do.

A is free. Are B and C? I assume that A will reply that B and C are
not free. If A asserts that B and C do enjoy real liberty, most of us,
without further definition, will know what to think of A’s idea of
liberty. But a Wells, a Forster, or a Russell would doubtless agree,
as vehemently as us, that this is not liberty, but a degrading slavery
to environment. He will say that to free B and C we must raise them to
A’s level, the level, let us say, of the Oxford don. Like the Oxford
don, B and C must have leisure and a modest income with which to enjoy
the good things and the good ideas of the world.

But how is this to be brought about? Bourgeois social relations are
what we have now. No one denies that the dynamic motive of such
relations is private profit. Here bourgeois economists and Marxists
are agreed. Moreover, if causality has any meaning, and unless we are
to throw all scientific method overboard, current economic relations
and the unfreedom of B and C must be causally inter-related.

We have, then, bourgeois social relations on the one hand, and these
varying degrees of unfreedom – A, B, and C – on the other hand,
interconnected as cause and effect. So far, either might be the cause,
for we have not decided whether mental states arise from social
relations, or vice versa. But as soon as we ask how action is to solve
the problem, we see which is primary. It is useless to give B, by
means of lectures and picture galleries, opportunity for understanding
philosophy or viewing masterpieces of art. He has no time to acquire,
before starting work, the taste for them or after starting work the
time to gratify it. Nor is C free to enjoy the riches of bourgeois
culture as long as his whole existence is clouded by his economic
position. It is circumstances that are imprisoning consciousness, not
vice versa. It is not because B and C are unenlightened that they are
members of the working class, but because they are members of the
working class, they are unenlightened. And Russell, who writes In
Praise of Idleness, praises rightly, for he is clever because he is
idle and bourgeois, not idle and bourgeois because he is clever.

We now see the cause and effect of the situation. We see that it is
not this freedom and unfreedom which produces bourgeois social
relations, but that bourgeois social relations alike give rise to
these two extremes, the freedom of the idle bourgeois, and the
unfreedom of the proletarian worker. It is plain that this effect, if
undesirable, can only be changed by changing the cause.

Thus the intellectual is faced with another problem, like that when he
had to define more precisely who enjoyed the liberty he regarded as
contemporary. Does he wish that there should exist for ever these two
states of captivity and freedom, of misery and happiness? Can he enjoy
a freedom which is sustained by the same cause as the workers’
unfreedom? For if not, he must advance further and say, “bourgeois
social relations must be changed.” Change they will, precisely because
of this unfreedom they increasingly generate; but to-day the
intellectual must decide whether his will be part of the social forces
making for change, or vainly pitted against them.

But how are bourgeois social relations to be changed? Not by a mere
effort of the will, for we saw that the mind was made by social
relations, not vice versa. It is matter, the quantitative foundation
of qualitative ideology, that must be changed. It is not enough to
argue and convince. Work must be done. The environment must be
altered.

Science shows us how. We achieve our wants always, not by the will
alone, not by merely wishing them into being, but with action aided by
cognition, by utilising the physical laws of reality. We move
mountains, not by the mere movement of desire, but because we
understand the rigidly determined laws of kinetics, hydraulics, and
electrical engineering and can guide our actions by them. We attain
freedom – that is, the fulfilment of our will – by obedience to the
laws of reality. Observance of these laws is simple; it is the
discovery of them that is the difficulty, and this is the task of
science.

Thus, the task of defining liberty becomes still harder. It is not so
easy after all to establish even a contemporary definition of liberty.
Not only has the intellectual already had to decide to change
bourgeois social relations, but he must now find out the laws of
motion of society, and fit social relations into a causal scheme. It
is not enough to want to be free; it is also necessary to know.

Only one scientific analysis of the law of motion of social relations
exists, that of Marxism. For the understanding of how, physically, at
the material level of social being, quantitative movements of capital,
of matter, of stuff, provide the causal predictive basis of society,
and pass via social relations into the qualitative changes of mind,
will, and ideology, it is necessary to refer the bourgeois
intellectual to Marx, Engels, Plekhanov, Lenin and Bukharin. Let us
suppose that he has now done this and returns again to the difficult
pursuit of liberty.

His causal conception of society will now enable him to realise that
the task of making social relations produce liberty is as rigidly
conditioned by reality as the task of making matter fulfil his desire
in the form of machines. All matter – machinery, capital, men – and
the relations which they exhibit in society – can only move in
accordance with causal laws. This involves first that the old
relations must be broken down, just as a house must be pulled down if
we would entirely rebuild it, and the transition, putting up and
pulling down, must follow certain laws. We cannot pull the foundation
first, or build the roof before the walls.

This transitional stage involves the alteration of all the adherences
between humans and the capital, machinery and materials, which mediate
social relations. These must no longer adhere to individual persons –
the bourgeois class – but to all members of society. This change is
not a mere change of ownership, for it also involves that no
individuals can derive profit from ownership without working. The
goods are not destined to go the rounds of the market – the profit
movement – but directly into use – the use movement. Moreover, this
involves that all the visible institutions depending on private profit
relations – laws, church, bureaucracy, judiciary, army, police,
education – must be pulled down and rebuilt. The bourgeoisie cannot do
this, for it is by means of these very institutions – private property
(the modest income), law, university, civil service, privileged
position, etc., – that they attain their freedom. To expect them to
destroy these relations on which, as we saw, their freedom and the
workers’ unfreedom, depend, is to ask them to go in quest of
captivity, which, since liberty is what all men seek, they will not
do. But the opposite is the case with the unfree, with the
proletariat. The day they go in search of liberty, they revolt. The
bourgeois, fighting for his liberty, must necessarily find himself in
antagonism to the non-bourgeois, also fighting for liberty. The
eventual issue of this struggle is due to the fact that capitalist
economy, as it develops, makes ever narrower the class which really
owns liberty until the day comes when the intellectual, the doctor,
the petty bourgeois, the clerk, and the peasant, realise that they too
are not after all free. And they see that the fight of the proletariat
is their fight.

http://www.marxists.org/archive/caudwell/1938/studies/ch08.htm