CB: Based on expert advice from Lb-observers-teachers, no multiple
choice questions; open book

Anthropology 152                                              Professor Brown

Quiz #1

1.  What is anthropology ?  What are its four sub-fields and what do
they do ? What is the anthropological concept of culture ?

2.  What is biological evolution ? What is Charles Darwin's theory of
natural selection ? What is genetic drift ?

3  How might anthropology's explanations of people's beliefs and
behavior challenge your personal perspective on the following
questions ( if they do challenge you) ?  Where did we humans come from
? Why do we act in certain ways ?   Do these questions matter to you ?

4. What is the definition "species" in biology ? What are the unique
characteristics of the human species ?

5. What is ethno-centrism ?   Do you agree with anthropologists'
efforts to teach people to be less ethno-centric ? Why or why not ?

6 Scientific fact and theory ( itself a belief system) can challenge
other belief systems. Is it possible for scientific models of human
evolution and religious stories of creation to coexist ? Why or why
not ?