workers in Israeli settlements
Contending with a regime of work permits and limited rights

by Assaf Adiv (http://www.challenge-mag.com/en/authors__83/adiv_assaf)

Scarlet Johansson did not intend to, but when the Hollywood actress represented
SodaStream, an Israeli company operating in the occupied territories, and
claimed that the Palestinian workers receive the same full rights as their
Israeli counterparts, she raised an international media storm. Responding to
criticism that the plant’s location in occupied territory violates
international law, SodaStream CEO Daniel Birnbaum claimed, “We are very proud
of our plant in Mishor Adumim. It must be understood, the plant employs both
Israelis and Palestinians. All workers have equal rights. We call this an
‘island of peace’” (from Israel Hayom, 3 Feb. 2014).

However, reality in these industrial zones is far from an “island of peace.”
Full article (http://www.challenge-mag.com/en/article__388)

Join Challenge facebook: Challenge Facebook
(https://www.facebook.com/pages/Challenge-Online-Magazine/121389134601913)

 For credit: Assaf Adiv, Challenge online (http://www.challenge-mag.com/)