I'd say the main reason Marxists must be atheists in analysis of the
class struggle is that the bourgeoisie are atheists or their effective
activity in class struggle and their political actions to keep the
working class ruled and oppressed are based in thinking and analysis
that does not at all consider that super-natural or immortal beings,
God or Jesus Christ or Zeus or Athena or the principles of Buddha
operate in "the" economy or their market or business or the political
arena or war. Corporations may be people but they are atheists. In
order to do battle with the bourgeoisie , Communists must think in
that material world; in the material world of historical materialism
or historical naturalism. We are the 99%; they are the 1%. Ain't no
God in it.