On Sat, 3 Jan 2004 17:09:53 -0500 Shane Mage <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
writes:
> It is quite interesting that, in the long summary of Della Volpe's
> "materialist logic," the word *mathematics* does not appear
> even once.

To the best of my knowledge, Della Volpe did not write on the
philosophy of mathematics, although I could be wrong on that
point since much of his work remains untranslated from Italian.

So, Shane, what would you say about mathematics in terms
of an exposition of "materialist logic"?

Presumably, Della Volpe's analysis of scientific materialist
dialectics as  following a pattern  ofConcrete-Abstract-Concrete
(C-A-C), would have some implications for our understanding
of mathematics.

Jim F.