I see John Somerville wrote a number of books on Marxism. I don't think Novack ever mentioned him, and I do not remember ever hearing of him elsewhere or running across his work. A superficial scan of the article on line didn't impress me as contributing to any particular ongoing debate within the Marxist movement, but rather seemed have the purpose of offering a general academic description of basic dialectical materialist ideas to US readers, kind of like a Marxist philosophy 101 lecture. Of course, how much he actually grasped of Marxist philosophy and its method, which parts of Marxism he emphasized, who he was directing his writing at, and whether his perspective was revolutionary or just academic or what - would take some critical analysis, which of course would reflect the particular trend within Marxism of the critic as much as it would investigate Somerville. That of course is the nature of criticism - we often reveal more about ourselves than what we are critiquing, don't we? Anyway, two quick questions: is this article typical of Somerville's work? And what was his political orientation?

I have visited the website the Somerville article is on before, by Paul Ballantyne. Terrific stuff. He studied under Charles W. Tolman, a Marxist-influenced writer and teacher who I have only read a few articles by, but could learn much from. Apropos to our discussion on emergence, Paul's work has much to offer, and wallah! he has the Novikoff paper on integrative levels on his site, which I have just run off, and will read soon.

- Steve