I actually met Goedel 30 years ago while a Princeton
undergraduate philosophy major. I looked up across the
table at the Student Center and saw him eating a
cheesesteak, a truly disgusting NJ/Philly concoction.
I was eating one too. I stammered and said, uh er, Dr,
Goedel, your work has given mea  great deal of
pleasure. (Though at the time I had only read _about_
it -- I wasn't able to read the theorem until grad
school.) He said, Dank you. That was my conversation
with Goedel.

Goldstein, if she is the person I am thinking of, was
a Princeton grad student in philosophyw ho wrote a
roman a clef about the dept in those days, with thinly
disguised pictures of the dept members, not the best
novel, but required reading for everyone in philosophy
in them distant days.

People should remember that Goedel's incompleteness
theorem had a specific target: it was an attack on the
logicist program of Russell and Whitehead and their
attempt to derive arithmetic from logic. It was awork
in the foundations of mathematics and demolished that
program -- so the effect of the theorem is sort of
negative. It stopped work in a certain direction. So
people don't need to know its details unless they
teach math logic or work in the foundations of
mathematics.

Btw, maths are so specialized these days that most
mathematicians don't know much about the whole
picture. A number theorist doesn't necessarily know
any topology, for example. Doesn't need to, for sure.