Don't forget the extensive discussion of materialism in THE HOLY FAMILY.

Of course, what distinguishes home sapiens from the other monkeys is not "labor" as an abstraction, but the brain difference, which means the genetic capacity for language and hence cultural transmission of information, plus the other distinguishing features such as upright gait, opposable thumbs. Your point about "imagination" signals Marx's recognition of the cognitive difference.