We could have a world not tied to oil

http://www.lrna.org/league/PT/PT.2005.6/PT.2005.6.6.html

This column is a place for revolutionaries to debate why a cooperative
society is a practical solution to the problems people are fighting out. We
welcome
your thoughts about the articles we are running and we welcome your articles.
Future articles will be on jobs and a new society; culture and a new society;
and more. You can view all articles at
http://www.lrna.org/speakers/vision.html. E-mail [EMAIL PROTECTED] or write:
People's Tribune, P.O. Box 3524, Chicago,
IL 60654

By Sandra Reid

Millions of people are realizing that war today is in large part about oil.
The world economy is fueled by oil. Oil affects every aspect of our
lives‹from
fertilizers upon which world agriculture rests, to transportation, warfare,
plastics, chemicals, and other building blocks of industrial society. However,
it is becoming clear that fossil fuels are affecting the air that we breathe,
dirtying our water, spewing toxins everywhere, and contributing to global
warming, which is setting conditions for a collapse of the environment. Equally
frightening is the reality that a major war today will likely be nuclear,
threatening the future of humanity. Although oil is plentiful ("shortages" are
artificially created to keep the price high*), there are many forms of safe,
life-sustaining, renewable energy sources that could be used. The earth itself
is
energy. Why can't we get away from oil?

The capitalists can't and won't stop investing in oil. They have billions
invested in an oil-based global infrastructure from with they derive huge
profits. Exxon, for example, garnered a 44 percent increase or almost $8
billion in
first quarter profits. There are projections that the price of a barrel of oil
could shoot up to $100. Imagine the profits. If you were a capitalist, could
you stop investing in oil? The capitalists cannot turn away from oil. Nor will
they develop renewable energy on the scale that is urgently needed to save the
earth. Oil companies are actually preparing for an increase in oil production
globally. Billions more in taxpayers' money will be spent for regional
security (i.e. military control) to protect those investments. The nature of
capitalism demands it. Capitalism is based on private property of the few at
the
expense of humanity.

The only way to stop the cycle of destruction is to break away from
capitalism and create a totally new society based on public ownership of not
only
energy, but of every industry that produces the means of life. If the people
gain
control of the tools for producing the things we need, and run them in the
interests of humanity, plentiful sources of life-sustaining energy could be
unleashed. Totally new cities that nurture human relations could be built
around
free, clean energy. In such a society, everyone would have heat in the winter,
air-conditioning in the summer, clean water, safe parks for their kids, etc.
The
smog-filled mega-cities organized around the gas-guzzling automobile, the
pollution-spewing industrial plants, pipelines and refineries, toxic waste
dumps‹
and poverty‹would be relics of the past. New transportation systems could
transport people from small communities centered around people's needs to
anywhere
in the country or world. Anything is possible if the material conditions
allow for it. Today, the advances in science and technology make a new
cooperative
world possible and necessary.

Michio Kaku, author of the book, "Visions," discusses the astonishing
advances of science and the possibilities of mastering all forms of energy on
the
planet (eventually harnessing stellar power.) His book confirms that energy is
everywhere‹there are no shortages‹and that new technology can harness it in
the
interests of humanity. He says future societies could "modify the weather,
mine the oceans, or extract energy from the center of their planet." He warns,
however, that "harnessing and managing resources on this gigantic scale
requires a sophisticated degree of cooperation." He says, "this means [such
societies
must] have attained a truly planetary civilization, one that has put to rest
most of the factional religious, sectarian, and nationalistic struggles."

A cooperative society can be achieved, a society where people have what they
need simply because they are human beings. That someone should have the right
to own public resources and profit from their sale would be considered
immoral. The question is how do we get there? An organization of
revolutionaries is
needed that can take the message to the people that we must take over the
society, save humanity, and sweep capitalism off of the face of the earth in
favor
of something new.

The notion of so-called oil shortages and depletions is used by the U.S.
capitalists to justify high oil prices and war. According to an article
entitled,
"The Bottomless Beer Mug," in the Economist, the recoverable resource base of
oil has "consistently grown over the past few decades, even though the world
has been guzzling oil." Peter Odell, of Rotterdam's Erasmus University, says,
"One can argue for a world which has been running into oil rather than out of
it." Morris Adelman of MIT argues that the "amount of oil available over the
next 25-50 years is for all intents and purposes infinite." Two-thirds of the
oil known to exist in reservoirs is still abandoned as uneconomic, and vast
quantities lie under water. Previous forecasts did not have the benefit of the
new
technology.