Victor
        > ^^^^
        > CB: Here we see why the transgenerational transmission of how to
make and use tools is the key type of social connection defining humans.
There are studies showing that chimps , on their own , int the wild, make
and use  tools, such as sticks to dig in ant hills. But they don't pass on
to the next generation how to do it.

        But they do or at least the women do:

-clip-

        Actually, we've known for a long time that social groups of monkeys
and apes develop special cultural traits that are intergenerational for the
group and distinctive from those of other groups.  This was first noticed by
Japanese researchers into the behaviour of different groups of Japanese
Macaques.
        Some groups wash their food others don't, some bath in the hot
spring waters while others don't enter the water at all and so on.  Since
then animal ethologists in Africa and Asia have been mapping the "cultural
traditions" of our anthropoid brothers.

        Clearly, monkeys and apes do have "cultural traditions" that are
passed between generations, but it is much less sure that these traditions
are anything more than particular features of an otherwise "non-cultural"
array of practices.  What distinguishes human culture from that of other
creatures is its universality, i.e. man's absolute dependence on culture to
learn how to behave at all.

^^^^^
CB: Yes, however, what apes and monkeys have is "monkey see monkey do"
traditions, i.e. imitation. They don't have culture, because they don't have
symbolling or _ideality_ .  They are limited in what can be passed on to new
generations by what can be taught through imitation. The distinguishing
characteristic of humans is ideality which allows a qualitatively different
passage of experiences between generations.

^^^^^^

        In truth, we should expect that ideality (and tool making) would
appear
        historically, first, as a particularity, an abstracted individual
feature of
        the universal life activity that preceeded it, rather than as a
full-blown
        universal as it is for modern humans.  In principle, the development
of a
        universal such as social labour, tool making and commodity
production should
        first appear as an individual case, become a particular class of
phenomena
        as it expands beyond the individual case (as it does for learned
termite
        fishing among chimpanzees) and only become a universal when it
becomes the
        way things are done by everyone.