The public protest organised for today is tantamount to a disguised form of
racism. The organisers call for the following: Support  Irish ferry workers and
end the exploitation of immigrant workers.

This is disguised racism. This is just a disguised way of saying that Irish
ferry workers are not to be replaced by immigrants. Secondly it draws an
unnecessary distinction betweeen native and immigrant sections of the working
class. The point is that it is the nature of capitalism to replace one set of
workers with another. The replacement of skilled workers by unskilled labourers
has been the logic of industrial capitalism. To call for an end to such a
replacement is to suggest that capital can act against its own nature and
thereby undermine itself. It is to pit one category of worker against another
hereby reinforcing division, racism and nationalism. Skilled against unskilled.
The real issue is capital itself and the need to abolish it-- replacing it with
communism. This requires all workers independently of their existence as Irish
or immigrant (such distinctions are both racist and trivial) to join together
against the capialist class for ownership and control of the prodution process.
This means the call for the collective ownership and control of the ferry
system by the united working class. The Luddists organising today's public
protest are and have been leading the working class into the hands of capital
for a long time now. It is a historical necessity for the working class to
overthrow this bourgeois leadershoip.
Instead of endeavouring to dissolve the lines dividing the workers the present
leadership of the class seek their reinforcement.

Paddy Hackett