But wait!  Either I'm not remembering my own post correctly or you're mixing up
my arguments.

BTW, Engels says something even more forceful:

"The real unity of the world consists in its materiality, and this is proved
not by a few juggled phrases, but by a long and wearisome development of
philosophy and natural science." — Friedrich Engels, Anti-Dühring
http://www.marxists.org/archive/marx/works/1877/anti-duhring/ch02.htm

Yeah, Engels got it right much of the time.  My problem with Engels was also
articulated by Jean Van Heijenoort: a mixing up of logical and empirical
arguments.  It's another discussion, one we had before that failed.

Now what contrast did I make between Marx and Engels on the 'end of
philosophy'?  I don't recall saying anything against Engels.  Rather, they
engated in different arguments in different contexts making different claims.
Engels makes claims that others have made, starting with Hume, and takes them
up a notch.  Marx's concern over the obsolescence of metaphysics involves both
a philosophical-epistemological-methodological claim and a radical social claim
about alienation--which are ultimately combined.  I'm not suggesting that
Engels did or could not understand this, but that Marx's approach is unique in
a way that's rarely understood.  Prating about the unity of theory and practice
doesn't help either because everybody who quotes the 11th thesis is too lazy to
enquire into the intellectual context that generated it.

Now here is where something Hegelian comes in.  The ultimate conceptual unity
of epistemological and sociological (using 'bourgeois' language) argumentation
has its origin in Hegel, but the objective idealist mystification postulating
an organic unity in the unfolding of Geist was thrown out by Marx as the
anti-scientific impediment it was.  Marx's argument is not a sociologistic
argument, nor an economistic argument, nor anything of the sort.  (And Raya
Dunayevskaya, regressing to Left Hegelianism, doesn't have much to say in the
long run, either.)  The proper Marxian approach is to understand concretely
both the objective knowledge embodied in the accumulated intellectual patrimony
of the human race and its shaping (and warping) by the state of society at a
particular time.  It sounds trite when I state it as a truism, but it's one
that's not well understood even today.  It's something that can only be
understood once Marxism-Leninism is put out of the way.  As for bourgeois
philosophers--these people are even more stupid than you think they are.  If
you had to spend one day in Washington in my shoes you'd run screaming for the
hills.