This chapter and others does indeed confirm Frank's interest in a united front against the common right-wing enemy.

As I did not digitize the chapters in their original order, one may get a different impression: i.e., Frank's objections to Soviet philosophy and dialectical materialism only appear in later chapters; in these earlier chapters one sees a common opposition to the retrogressive idealist right.

I am partially sympathetic to Frank's philosophical views as well as critical of their limitations. His capsule summaries of the history of physics are valuable in documenting the disconnects between science and philosophy I've been writing about. The problem appears at the very beginning of the scientific revolution, in part because of the influence of religion, but also due to an inability to disentangle concrete scientific content from its alleged support of philosophical or theological positions.

I'm not so sure that Frank's critique of the Kantian thing-in-itself with respect to the Uncertainty Principle is the same as Engels'. I don't like Frank's position here, and I remain unsure of his velocity.

BTW, here's a paragraph from my intellectual diary, 19 November 2003:

A few days ago I read Newton and the Culture of Newtonianism by Betty Jo Teeter Dobbs and Margaret C. Jacob. I once had quite an interest in Newton, circa 1979, when I was interested in the dynamics of the totality of his thought (which includes alchemy and theology) in the cultural-philosophical-ideological complex of his time. This little book shows how archaic Newton was in his overall perspective—he was no mechanist that we would recognize. Aside from his vitalistic conceptions of matter outside of the realm for which he is famous, his aversion to materialism with the ever-present atheistic tendencies attributed to or associated with it reveal a Newton not fully modern and a society caught in irresolvable ideological contradictions. Newtonianism was ideologically tinged with non-scientific political preoccupations: it could be an apology for order or a call to revolution. Newton was of the party of order and moderation, favoring neither revolution nor absolute monarchy.