Engels' characterization of 'shamefaced' belongs generically to a tendency, most pronounced among English empiricists, to shrink from the ultimate conclusions to be drawn from the direction set in motion, as Engels delineates in recently discussed writings. "Materialism' in this context can only logically refer to a tendency within a philosophy, not the philosophy itself.

While Kant is hardly identical to Berkeley, his thought his driven by fundamental contradictions, and not only regarding materialism/idealism.

Adorno's two volumes of lectures on Kant are brilliant:

KANT'S CRITIQUE OF PURE REASON

PROBLEMS OF MORAL PHILOSOPHY

I have a couple of quotes on my web site, though they will only help marginally with this discussion:

T.W. Adorno on Theory, Practice, & Moral Philosophy
http://www.autodidactproject.org/quote/adornprx.html

T.W. Adorno on Kant, the Division of Labor & Restriction of Reason
http://www.autodidactproject.org/quote/adorno11dv.html