Sort of up against the wall with two  deadlines, so
very briefly

1) With Kant the issue is, the correct
characterization of his views (which is very hard),
and the incorrect characterization, as a  sort of
Berkeleyean (which is easy). This matters for lots of
reasons, undewrstanding the context of classical
German philosophy in which Hegel and Marx and Engels
operated, some of the difficulty in the notions of
idealism and realism, and the intrinsic interest of
Kant's views -- he still has a lot to teach us.

2) I reject Kant's transcendental idealism/empirical
realism, but what we are arguinga bout is in part what
I am rejecting. You can't actually reject the view
unless you sort of understand it. And "sort of
understand" is all claim, this is as hard stuff as
there is in philosophy.

3)This "shamefaced" stuff is a load of crap. Kant
thought he had good arguments that Berkleyean idealism
was necessarily wrong, but he also thought he had good
arguments that "transcendental realism," more or less
your view and maybe mine, if it's taken more modestly,
was hopeless. So K think there are definite resaons
not to adopt this position and the idea that he's
chicken or embarassed is merely indivious.

4) Maybe Lenin studied Kant, no doubt Engels had done
at one point. That doesn't make them Kant scholars.
I've studied Kant and that doesn't make me a Kant
scholar. Kant scholars devote careers to this stuff.

5) Lenin's definition of materialism (as the existence
objective reality outside us) is not transparent,
Engels'(in terms of nature and spirit) less so. My
ability to raise difficulties for these definitions
does not show they are transparent but the reverse.
They show that the terms are slippery, unclear, and
obsure. I don't really understand them myself.

6) That's why I say I'm a realist about somethings,
and by that I just mean that there are specific things
and types of things, some physical, some not (I'm not
an emergent materialist, at least in the sense that I
don't think there is any reason to think that
everything there is is physical), some of these have
more or less the properties we think they do as well
as others we might not know about, plus there are
other things we don't know about, some of which might
discover, and for some of these things they are not
made up by us, alterable just by thinking or wishing
or willing, or themselves psychological properties.
Although I am a realist about psychology too -- I'm
not an eliminativist.  Cjhrist, evenever I start to
talk about this stuff it falls apart. Which just goes
to show it's not transparent.

7) Your are Lenin's identification of idealism,
whatever that is, and theism, is unjustified and
unjustifiable. As Ralph points out, for example, a
standard interpretation of Nietzsche, arguably wrong
but widely held and advocated by Nietzscheans and
postmodernists, is that his perspectivism is a form of
idealism, and he's the original God is Dead guy.  Your
insistence on this point reinforces my conviction taht
your attitude towards Marx, Engels, and Lenin is
scriptural rather than scientific.

8) To say we are interested in this stuff because this
is a Marxism list is consistent with a merely
historical interest that has no current relevance.
Some of Marx(ism) is surely alive. Other parts are (in
my view) dead as doornail, interesting to Marx
scholars like me (I _am_ a Marx scholar if not a Kant
scholar), but nothing one would want to maintain
today. I wouldn't expecy you to agree, but it would be
interesting to know if there is any major point on
which you disagree with Marx, Engels, or Lenin.

Replt to Ralph when I am able. It's hellish here.