Edgar Allan Poe wrote philosophical satires about Cant, Aries Tottle, deduction, induction, and other topics. But seriously, folks, we need to disaggregate a general discussion of the characteristics of materialism from the specific case of Kant. I barely have time to read through fresh batches of posts on marxism-thaxis comprised of all sorts of arguments tangled up together.

Kant is one of the toughest nuts to crack in the history of philosophy. Adorno has two volumes of lectures substantially analyzing the socio-historical meaning of Kantian dualism. Had Engels' purpose in the cited texts been to focus on Kant's philosophy in detail, he might have been up to the task, but he is making a far more sweeping and hence relatively superficial statement about the inhibitions of major portions of modern western philosophy to go all the way with materialism. But the reason for the existence of dualism and the manner of overcoming it are not trivial matters. If you counterpose Spinoza to Descartes, or Hegel to Kant (then 'inverted' by Feuerbach and Marx), you can get a better fix on the deeper questions both the dualists and antidualists are struggling with in their historical setting.

Descartes and Kant may be the essential founding philosophers of the modern subject: they foreground the historically new concept of self-conscious subjectivity, but also in the context of a new science founded on mechanistic physics. There are religious and political reasons for the separation of the spirit from the mechanical actions of nature, but there is an objective problem as well, if one considers how the two would be united in a single scientific world picture read off in materialist terms. Spinoza's solution--whether one wants to dub him a materialist or not as some Marxists do--is not obvious or transparent. Compare Spinoza to La Mettrie, who took mechanical materialism to a logical conclusion that was too heretical for Christian Europe to bear. But here too is a problem. (Lenin, BTW, also criticized this sort of theory of consciousness.) La Mettrie I presume is more transparent than Spinoza, but nonetheless bumps up, as all philosophers must, against the limitations of the development of science of the time, and the limitations of the development of philosophy too, and the intrinsic paradoxicality of the problem of consciousness.

As one of the erstwhile contributors on my marxistphilosophy list argued some years back, Marx's innovative power may have stemmed from the snowballing process of the inversion of idealism. This is a process ignited by Feuerbach's materialist inversion of religion (and less successfully, of Hegelian philosophy). I don't know if Greg said this, but I'm saying it now. And I'll add that, curiously, there is something more powerful about the inversion of idealism than about the positive assertion of materialism. Perhaps one could apply this analogy to Spinoza; I can't follow through. I would also say the process applies to the Frankfurt School materialist inversion of the Kantian-Hegelian heritage in the 1930s. The negation of idealism attests not just to materialism but to the power of idealist philosophies. If we are going to cite authorities, something I don't like to do, Marx, Engels, and Lenin all recognized this. But again, close textual analysis will help us to understand exactly what arguments are being made, what not.