> If I am wrong in this it is because I am highly sympathetic to the uses of
> the gene-centered theory. Thus I think that ideological lines are very
> important to draw and I also think that the ideological lines an be drawn
> without losing the theory.

I want to make something clear about this last paragraph of the previous
post.  What I am sympathetic with is the narrow scientific theory that takes
the gene level of evolutionary selection as its starting point.  The reason
I think it is necessary to "draw ideological lines" [a little too much
Althusser in this expression] is to distinguish the narrow theory from the
supposed sociological and philosophical implications.

Also, I am not arguing that biological evolution will change in its basic
understandings.  Though it is possible that we may find that the mechanisms
are not exactly what we thought they were, and that there is simply a lot
more "noise" or "junk" that we can't account for on the level phenotype
expression.  The hard-core Darwinian philosophers, such as Dennett, truly
believe that they can explain everything, from psychological disabilities to
human institutions, to individual intentions, with same type of evolutionary
"selfish meme" theory.  Thus we now have biological evolutionary theories of
literature, music, gift-exchange, ... among other projects.   It reminds me
of the application of game theory and economic theory to everything
including our "exchanges" with "the Gods."

Jerry