Bronner, Stephen Eric. A Rumor about the Jews: Antisemitism, Conspiracy, and the Protocols of Zion. New York: Oxford University Press, 2003. (1st ed., 2000)

Publisher description: http://www.loc.gov/catdir/enhancements/fy0614/2003048673-d.html Table of contents: http://www.loc.gov/catdir/enhancements/fy0614/2003048673-t.html

H-Net review: Linda Maizels. "Review of Stephen Eric Bronner, A Rumor about the Jews: Antisemitism, Conspiracy, and the Protocols of Zion," H-Judaic, H-Net Reviews, March, 2004. URL: http://www.h-net.org/reviews/showrev.cgi?path=141461079742078.

I will review this important book when I've finished reading it. I've now gone through chapter 2, in which selections of the infamous anti-semitic forgery are reproduced. It is immediately evident that this tract could only be a product of an illiberal society attempting to stifle the democratic tendencies of modernization--hence the slurs not only against the Jews, but in association with condemnation of all anti-clerical, anti-aristocratic, anti-hierarchical, democratic and liberal tendencies. Not surprising, as it is a czarist forgery. Some of this content would not pass in liberal democracies, but quite a bit of it is still live within the fascist currents of societies like ours, not to mention others.

I hope to say more beyond what is said in the H-Net review cited. Sophisticated models of how religious ideology interacts with sociological factors need to be popularized, especially in the philosophically challenged Anglo-American sphere (including, alas, the otherwise salutary secular humanist movement). That is, we need a more philosophically and sociologically sophisticated defense of liberal and secular values than the philosophical mediocrities who dominate such discourse--Sam Harris, Richard Dawkins, E.O. Wilson, Daniel Dennett, etc.--are giving us. We also need a counterweight to the fascistic conception of the "clash of civilizations" not only bequeathed to us by right-wrong ideologues but adopted by scared liberals like Harris who is part of the current foaming at the mouth over Islam. We have to know how to condemn religious superstition unequivocally without predicating everything that happens in society as a product of "belief" in the abstract, or for that matter, on sociologically illiterate metaphorical extensions of neo-Darwinism (memetics, etc.).