On Sat, 09 Jun 2007 07:25:45 -0400 Ralph Dumain <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> Of these definitions, the one that really matters is (2). But I would
> add
> that positivism tends toward phenomenalism, a merely descriptive
> rather
> than explanatory view of science, science as the economy of thought
> rather
> than objective reflection of underlying processes (also what Marx
> calls
> real relations as opposed to phenomenal forms, or what Bhaskar
> refers to as
> depth realism).  I do not like 'positivism' as a mere synonym for
> 'scientism'. This creates a misleading impression of where the
> problems
> really lie.

I think that I would ammend the scientistic thesis slightly
to state that it involves not only taking science as the
only valid form of human knowledge but also invovlves
taking the natural sciences as the model of how
science, and hence, human knowledge should
be formulated. This may also involve a commitment
to a radical reductionism, where one might attempt
to reduce sociology to psychology, psychology to
neurophysiology, and biology to the laws of
chemistry and physics.  Not all proponents of
the scientistic thesis accept this radical reductionism,
but many have.

> To call Engels and Kautsky positivists distorts the
> issues.  I'm willing to grant, though, that positivism in
> ethics/moral
> philosophy may mean something different than positivism as a
> philosophy of
> science.

Historically, positivists have been divided over the nature
of ethics.  Many have subscribed to some form of ethical
naturalism, in which moral predicates would be seen
as reducible to non-moral natural properties.  For example,
one might equate goodness with pleasure or with
Darwinian fitness etc.  On the other hand, many positivists,
including most of the Vienna Circle, have subscribed to
some sort of non-cognitivism such as emotivism or
prescriptivism.  I am not sure that either Engels or Kautsky
would necessarily fit comfortably within these categories.