Correction:

>>At least there is the potential of having one's attention drawn to
something in the mainstream media.>>

I meant NOT in the mainstream media.

And a footnote on my footnote: I think of what is the 'logic' of
scientific inquiry in the 'soft' areas I have worked in (applied
linguistics, educational linguistics, language teaching). How many
papers in this or that journal's 'research template' format basically
conclude (which is put in the abstract) with something like: this
study did (or did not) support this or that hypothesis. Or , this
study only partly supported this or that hypothesis. More research is
necessary (an almost universal statement). If any of these
'researchers' ever had to apply linguistics or teach a language or
take a philosophy of science 101 class, they might commit suicide!

CJ