Novaya Gazeta
www.novayagazeta.ru
March 19, 2008
Cohen's 70th Anniversary
By Mikhail Gorbachev

The Association of Researchers of the Russian
Society (AIRO-XXI) is celebrating its 15th
anniversary and we want to congratulate it on
this occasion. We are not only good friends, but
we also cooperate effectively. The Association
presented some of its projects in Novaya Gazeta,
and our employees took part in the conferences and
seminars organized
 by it.

Tomorrow a presentation will be held of a book
prepared by the Association. The book is
dedicated to one of the members of the
International Council of AIRO-XXI. He is our
mutual friend, who contributes regularly to our
newspaper. This is Stephen Cohen, a brilliant
American philosopher and historian.

The book has been published on the eve of the
70th anniversary of Mr. Cohen, who is the
Professor of Russian Research and History in New
York university, Honorable Professor of Princeton
University, and also a political observer,
well-known in the US and Russia. The book’s title
is “Stephen Koen and Soviet Union/Russia”
authored by G.N.Bordyugov and L.N.Dobrokhotov.

Novaya Gazeta publishes some fragments from this
anniversary edition.

A well-educated Russian reader, keen on the home
history, knows well the books by Stephen Cohen:
Bukharin and the Bolshevik Revolution: A
Political Biography, 1888-1938; Failed Crusade:
America and the Tragedy of Post-Communist Russia,
2001; and others.

When I was told that Stephen Cohen is celebrating
his 70th anniversary, I just couldn’t believe it.
His image of a lively person with great sense of
humor that surfaced in my mind, contradicted
obviously to such a “grave” figure of 70. It
happens sometimes that a persons’ image is
defined not with the lifetime a person has behind
oneself but with person’s attitude towards life, job
and people.

I have known Stephen Cohen for long. We have
often met and discussed different historical and
political issues. Our frank talks made us
friends. His books about Russia were always
distinguished with topicality, and comprehensive
and deep exploration of the chosen topic. Looking
back to Perestroika times, I remember many
acquaintances of mine being absorbed in reading
his book about Nikolai Bukharin. The judgments by
Steve about this outstanding and mixed figure in
our history amazed us with accuracy of assessment
and consistency of the conclusions. I remember
that book, that was in tune with the times,
becoming a bestseller in Soviet Union.

But even more significant came his book telling
about why Soviet Union collapsed, where he,
unlikely to “traditional Sovietologists” - who
ignored the contradictory nature of the soviet
history and “Stalinized” it mainly - gave an
objective interpretation of its principal stages.
When reflecting over the text of that book, I
noticed to have much in common with the author in
terms of appraisal of different periods and most
important events in the soviet history.

Steve Cohen has proved to be a brave and
impartial researcher of post-soviet political
history. One of his latest works - Failed
Crusade: America and the Tragedy of
Post-Communist Russia -  is typical in that
respect, where he, as an expert in Russian
issues, deprecated direct interference by
American authorities in the Russian reforming, in
particular the approval by Americans of
devastating Yeltsin’s policy of “shock therapy”.

To tell the truth, I’m glad about the fact that
Steve Cohen, when studying Russian history,
cooperates fruitfully with Gorbachev Fund. His
recent work dealing with analysis of Soviet Union
reforming was naturally included in a collective
monograph “Breakthrough To Freedom” dedicated to
20th anniversary of Perestroika. So I look
forward to further successful cooperation.

I believe that successful academic career by
Steve wouldn’t have been so successful without
his clever friend and beloved wife Katherine.
Being an expert for Russia and the editor of the
progressive magazine The Nation she has always
been of great support without which his books
would have been less correct and perfect. Every
time Steve Cohen visited Russia I saw his
charming daughter Nicky accompany him and ask him
difficult questions which he tried to answer
frankly. That was not easy but it’s exactly such
candid communication that can help you bring up
your children in the best way. It was noticed
long ago that there is no need in “special”
process of “educating” children as they just only
need to be full actors in their parents’ lives.
I’m sure that Katherine and Nicky are such
sources of the inspiration for our hero of
jubilee without which his life would be, of
course, less joyful and less fruitful.

Concluding on my reflections, I want to stress
one more time such features of his personality
like impartial search for the scientific truth -
without which it is impossible to comprehend the
present and to forecast the future - also
boldness and objectivity. There are few scholars,
historians and publicists having such qualities
today, and it’s exactly such qualities that have
never been in greater demand by people
experiencing global challenges of the modern age.

The world of today wants new democratic and
humanitarian seeing of the future. I believe that
Steve Cohen is promoting such a vision with his
knowledge and bold and original research.

On the eve of his 70th anniversary I want to wish to
him “Carry on!”