http://lists.econ.utah.edu/pipermail/marxism/2008-April/026157.html

The relentless and obsessive opposition to
Mike Friedman

This idea that Obama is "coopting the left" is totally meaningless. And
the idea that “program” – at least as a laundry list of issues --  will
forever be the dividing line, I find to be fetishistic. Even at other
historic moments, "we" would argue that the Democratic Party, not this or
that particular candidate is "coopting" the left. Moreover, it isn't that
they "coopted" the left, but that sections of that "left" (ephemeral term)
were grafting themselves to the Democrats and constituting a pole of
attraction for the “masses” (although surely not the 60% of African
Americans that preferred to say “no thanks”).  Supposedly, we denounced
the Democratic Party program as a way of disabusing "the masses" of their
illusions in the DP. A sectarian few (well, the entire left is few, to be
honest...) carried out this knee-jerk condemnation of DP program just to
hear themselves and to assure their place in Sparticist (or whatever)
heaven.

But this, as Joaquin, Walter, and others, with whom I have not always
agreed, is not "other moments" and the Obama campaign is not another DP
campaign. To clarify, Obama is another DLC Democrat (as per the NYT
article I posted yesterday). His program falls squarely within the ruling
class consensus. His stated policy would continue to support Israeli
apartheid, troops in Iraq, etc., etc. The DP hasn't changed its stripes.

What has changed is the concrete context we are living. As I've argued
before, the bourgeoisie faces a crisis of legitimacy on a scale not seen
since the great depression and Black candidate has opened discussion of
the race question in one of the major bourgeois parties, in a way that
hasn’t been seen since the Civil War. The former has engendered a nascent
movement which has found expression for the moment in the campaign of the
latter. I would say those salient facts point to a new context and,
potentially, a new historic moment.  And the controversy shouldn’t be
reduced to whether or not to vote for Obama.

In passing, I just want to point out that the fetishism of issues can
itself become a reformist trap. Under our form of bourgeois democracy, NO
politician -- not Obama, not McCain, not Clinton, not Nader or McKinney --
would be able to implement the kinds of policies we want. We've long
recognized that the president doesn't "make" policy: ruling class
foundations, think tanks, corporate bodies do. We know that the only way
such policies would be implemented is if there exists a mass movement to
demand them and fight for them.

If you’ll notice, none of the historic revolutionary leaders made
shibboleths of programmatic issues when it came to engaging with the
masses. If you look at Malcolm, Chavez, Carlos Fonseca, Fidel, none of
these leaders pulled out their program as a dividing line between the
righteous and the sinners. Yes, program was important, particular issues
at particular times could be important. But the key, strategic goal was
building a mass, politically independent, movement of the oppressed and
exploited. The key medial strategy was, to use Mao’s analogy, to be among
the masses as fish in the sea.  To put it another way, you don’t “win the
masses” to a better program: you are either part of the movement , as a
way of engaging people in discussion around issues, which can possibly,
maybe, then be posed as program by a mass movement, or you are a
sectarian. Even the paradigmatic (for many) Bolsheviks did this, in
practice. That’s what the discussions around the April Theses were about:
an adjustment to the animus of the mass base.

Given the altered context and the motion around the Obama campaign and
what he represents in the context of our society, we need to ask
ourselves, is labeling Obama “a Cintonite with a Black face” the best way
to do this? In the context of the racist under (and over) tones of the
campaign against Obama, how would this sound to millions of people
desirous of change and expressing this through the Obama campaign? Is
dismissing the movement currently focused on Obama as “coopted” the best
way to do this? I’m not convinced this business-as-usual approach is
anything more than self-flagellation. I would suggest that folks read
Cynthia McKinney’s speech following Obama’s talk as, perhaps, indicative
of  a more productive way of approaching the campaign. I would also
suggest reading the majority of the commentaries that appeared in the same
issue of the Black Commentator as the piece Dennis cited.