I agree with this assessment.  When I talked to Obamamaniacs, all of
whom were white, ranging from dippy Unitarians to independentd and
moderate Republicans, I couldn't find any rational basis for their
support of Obama.  The most rational response I got was from a white
female independent who actually compared the health care proposals of
Clinton and Obama, but otherwise had nothing to offer except a
hostility to Hillary.

The die is cast now, so there's no point in crying over spilt
illusions, but I always thought Obamamania was dangerous and that the
bubble would burst.  That doesn't mean I expect a bourgeois
politician to be anything other than that or that I am unwilling to
support the most palatable of alternatives open to me, but I prefer
to do it with my eyes open.