Verificationism

A verificationist is someone who adheres to the verification principle, a
principle and criterion for meaningfulness that requires a non-analytic,
meaningful sentence to be either verifiable or falsifiable, though it was hotly
disputed amongst verificationists whether this must be possible in practice or
merely in principle. For example, a claim that the world came into existence a
short time ago exactly as it is today (with misleading apparent traces of a
longer past), would be judged meaningless by a verificationist because it is
neither an analytic claim nor a verifiable claim.

Historically, this criterion for meaning, per the verificationists, had the
effect of revealing a number of philosophic debates as meaningless since, per
the verificationists, many philosophic debates are made over the truth of
unverifiable sentences. Notoriously, verificationism is often used to rule out
as meaningless religious, metaphysical, and ethical sentences. However, not all
verificationists have found sentences of these types to be unverifiable. The
classical pragmatists, for example, saw verificationism as a guide for doing
good work in religion, metaphysics, and ethics.

Contents [hide]
1 Early Verificationists
1.1 Empiricism
1.2 Positivism
2 Logical Positivism
3 Pragmatism
4 Falsificationism
5 Post-Positivist Verificationists
5.1 Quine and the Dogmas of Empiricism (1951)
5.2 Wittgenstein and the Private Language Argument (1953)
5.3 Bas van Fraassen and Constructive Empiricism (1980)
5.4 Arthur Fine and the Natural Ontological Attitude (1986)
6 See also
7 References

[edit] Early Verificationists

[edit] Empiricism
Main article: Empiricism
All of the empiricists back to Locke could be treated as verificationists. The
basic tenet of empiricism is that experience is our only source of knowledge
and verificationism might be seen as simply a consequence of this tenet.
Empiricists held that our ideas are either simple sense-perceptions or
compilations and mixtures of these basic sense-perceptions. Reading this
empiricist account, there does not seem to be any way for an idea to get into
our heads without being connected to our perceptions and, thus, being connected
to a means of verification. This leads empiricists like David Hume to reject
philosophic positions about the existence of a God, a soul, or a self, since we
are unable to point to the impression from which the idea of the thing is
derived. Hume's Enquiry Concerning Human Understanding concludes with a
rallying cry for the verificationist:

When we run over libraries, persuaded of these principles, what havoc must we
make? If we take in our hand any volume; of divinity or school metaphysics, for
instance; let us ask, Does it contain any abstract reasoning concerning
quantity or number? No. Does it contain any experimental reasoning concerning
matter of fact and existence? No. Commit it then to the flames: for it can
contain nothing but sophistry and illusion.[1]

The empiricists did not directly put forth a criterion of meaningfulness, but
one could be seen as equivalent to the empiricists' claim that ideas not
connected to experience are "empty". It is worth noting, however, that
verificationism need not be a position about meaning. It is simply the position
that unverifiable sentences are defective in some way that is similar to how
false sentences and meaningless sentences are defective. Empiricists could
therefore be read as asserting that unverifiable sentences are defective not
because they are meaningless, but because they contain terms standing for
ideas/concepts that we cannot possibly possess. Or, the empiricist could be
read as asserting the semantic position that unverifiable sentences are
meaningless preciesly because they contain terms standing for ideas/concepts
that we cannot possibly possess.

[edit] Positivism
Main article: Positivism
Auguste Comte put forth a semantic position not about the meaninglessness of
unverifiable sentences, but rather about the pointlessness of considering them
since they cannot be verified. This sort of rejection of unverifiable sentences
as useless rather than meaningless would reoccur in the work of the classical
pragmatists alongside their semantic verificationism. Comte was a rather
extreme verificationist, rejecting everything we cannot have direct experience
of. This included statements about the past, universal generalizations, as well
as abstract objects like universals.

[edit] Logical Positivism
Main article: Logical positivism
The verification principle is most associated with the logical positivist
movement which had its roots in inter-war Vienna.

[edit] Pragmatism
Main article: Pragmatism
Despite pre-dating logical positivism, pragmatism had very little influence on
the logical positivists and most attention paid to verificationism has been
directed to the positivists. This is mostly because logical positivism, unlike
pragmatism, held the possibility of dismissing whole disciplines like
metaphysics, morality, and ethics. The pragmatists differed from the logical
positivists in their hospitality to areas of knowledge that the positivists
hoped their principle would undermine. The pragmatists did not want to rule out
metaphysics, religion, or ethics with the verification principle; they wanted
to provide a standard for conducting good metaphysics, religion, and ethics.

William James coined the famous verificationist motto: "A difference that makes
no difference is no difference".

[edit] Falsificationism
Main article: Falsifiability
It is commonly believed that Karl Popper rejected the requirement that
meaningful sentences be verifiable, demanding instead that they be falsifiable.
However, Popper later claimed that his demand for falsifiability was not meant
as a theory of meaning, but rather as a methodological norm for the sciences.
Often, and to Popper's dismay, he is grouped as together with the
verificationists rather than as a critic of verificationism.

[edit] Post-Positivist Verificationists

[edit] Quine and the Dogmas of Empiricism (1951)
Main article: Two Dogmas of Empiricism
Verificationists need not be logical positivists. Willard Van Orman Quine is a
famous example of a verificationist who does not accept logical positivism, on
grounds of semantic holism. He suggests that, for theoretical sentences as
opposed to observation sentences, meaning is "infected by theory". That
theoretical sentences are reducible to observation sentences is one of the
‘dogmas of empiricism’ he rejects as incompatible with semantic holism.

[edit] Wittgenstein and the Private Language Argument (1953)
Main article: Private language argument
Some interpretations of the Private Language argument see it as a form of
verificationism. So for example, Misak claims that:

To say that P is a sentence in a private language is to say that there does not
have to be any public consequences if P is true [....] But then 'P seems right
to me' will always be a sufficient condition for 'P is right'. There is nothing
that would count as evidence for or against the private linguist's claim that
she is using a term in the same way or that she is picking out the same
property by the term. Nothing would count as evidence to an observer and
nothing would count as evidence to the speaker herself. [2]

Others disagree:

As we have seen, a crucial part is played in the private-language argument by
Wittgenstein's advice 'Always get rid of the idea of the private object in this
way: assume that it constantly changes, but that you do not notice the change
because your memory constantly deceives you.' This advice has a verificationist
ring, and some philosophers have thought that the private-language argument
depends, in the last analysis, on verificationist premises. But Wittgenstein's
advice is not meant to be followed by the question 'How would you ever find
out?' but by the question 'What possible difference would it make?' The
private-language argument does indeed depend on premises carried forward from
Wittgenstein's earlier philosophy; but they are not peculiar to the
verificationist period of the 1930s but date back to the time of the picture
theory of the proposition in the 1910s[.] [3]

[edit] Bas van Fraassen and Constructive Empiricism (1980)
Main article: Constructive empiricism
After the fall of logical positivism, verificationism and empiricism more
generally lost many adherents. This trend was stopped and in large part
reversed in 1980 with the publication of van Fraassen's The Scientific Image.
Constructive empiricism states that scientific theories do not aim at truth,
but to be empirically adequate and that their acceptance involves a belief only
that they are empirically adequate. A theory is empirically adequate if and
only if everything that it says about observable entities is "true" (or
well-established). Constructive empiricism therefore rejects unverifiable
positions not because they lack truth or meaning, but because they go beyond
what is needed to be empirically adequate.

[edit] Arthur Fine and the Natural Ontological Attitude (1986)
Main article: Natural Ontological Attitude
In 1986, Arthur Fine offered an important alternative to van Fraassen's
constructive empiricism with what he decided to playfully entitle the Natural
Ontological Attitude (NOA). Fine holds that scientific anti-realists like van
Fraassen beg the question against scientific realists when they assume that in
theory selection there do not exist reasons to select theories that go beyond
what is needed to be empirically adequate. Fine argues that we can avoid this
mistake by taking note of what antirealists and realists will both agree to:
the reliability of our scientific theories. This recognition of common ground
brings Fine to argue that instead of aiming at true scientific theories (as the
realist does) or empirically adequate theories (as the constructive empiricist
does), we should aim for scientific theories that are reliable for our
purposes. Fine's position has an advantage over van Fraassen constructive
empiricism in that a NOAer has a ready-made explanation for why there is no
reason to select theories that go beyond what is reliable for our purposes;
namely, that such theories are irrelevant to our purposes. For this reason Fine
is similar to the classical pragmatists from whom he takes inspiration.