I thought that decades ago I used to see a book in the stores called
The Age of Materialism. I have not been able to locate such a title
in any online library catalog I've checked nor in the online used
book services.

Doing a web search, I found exactly one blog that mentions this title:

Age of Materialism, 1871-1900

No author is given.  The blogger said this was published in the 1940s
and was a good historical study.

But I can't find any other information on it anywhere.  The title
sure sounds like what I'm looking for.

In the immortal words of Phil Donahue: Help me out here.