On Sun, 6 Apr 2008 10:45:09 +0100 "rasherrs" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
writes:
> Thanks Jim
>
> I have been reading On Denoting and stuff related to it.
> But how does this apply to defining what is and is not science?  How
> do we
> deal with scientific statements particularly sentences. Do we
> analyse them
> as we do "The present king of France is bald." And do we do this to
> every
> sentence in a scientific work or what?

Many of the logical positivists proposed to do exactly that.
The idea being to marry Russell's method of logical analysis
which he had first outlined in "On Denoting" with
an extreme verificationism (which involved not
just a verfication theory of truth but also a
verification theory of meaning.  In fact
some of the positvists seemed to consider
the logical analysis of scientific propositions
to be close to the sum total of legitimate
philosophy.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Logical_positivism
www.unige.ch/lettres/philo/enseignants/pe/Engel%202005%20Russell%20s%20In
quiry%20into%20Meaning%20and%20Truth.pdf

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meaning_(linguistic)#Bertrand_Russell

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bertrand_Russell#Analytic_philosophy

http://daniel.cohnitz.de/download.php?d41747e60573503029d688f3267cc6cf