-------

> I'm thinking that as between Sartre and Althusser, Sartre. Sartre
> was
> in the Resistence and in a concentration camp. He was in the
> struggle
> for real.

Actually, Sartre was never in a concentration camp.
He was in a POW camp after having been caputured
by the Germans following the defeat of the French
in 1940.  He eventually escaped from the camp,
and returned to Paris.  He was in the Resistance
but the group that he was in, as far I can tell,
was mainly a "talking shop."  They didn't do anything
concrete.  Althusser too was held capitve in a POW
camp, where he spent the entirety of the war.
Apparently, he lacked the opportunities and
the inclination to escape.

Sartre's real activism came after the war,
when he took the lead in supporting a variety
of progressive movements, including the
Vietnamese struggle against French colonialism
(and later against the Americans), the struggle
for Algerian independence , which Sartre supported
when that position was unpopular even on the
far left. Later on Sartre supported the student
movement, and most of the movements for
emancipation of one kind or another that
sprung up during the 1960s. By then he
was considered to be the very model
of an engagé intellectual in the tradition
of Voltaire and Zola.