AIG was one of the great gaijin god entities that strutted around
post-bubble Japan. I think their most profitable racket was the
supplemental health insurance sold by 'American Home Direct'. Their
Japan division was making huge amounts of money until US management
got the brilliant idea of offloading the US branch's debt to the world
divisions.

Meanwhile my non-profit supplemental health insurance cooperative just
got taken over by Zurich Int'l. Here in Japan it never ends because
the two dominant parties still think Japan is behind because its
institutional investors only got 3-5% returns in the past decade, and
not the world-beating American standards of 12-20%. One hopes the
current events catch up and penetrate the ideological cloud, but that
would asking capitalism to think. They are going to go ahead and try
to float a privatization of the Japan Postal Savings and Insurance
systems too.

More about AIG in Japan.

http://www.aig.com/home_348_92815.html

http://www.aiginvestments.com/AIG/Funds/Funds+List/Equity/Asia/asia_japan_horizon.htm