On Thu, 9 Oct 2008 10:09:38 +0900 CeJ <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> BTW, I admire Sartre's contributions to philosophy, social science
> and
> politics. And his relationships with Camus, De Beauvoir  and
> Merleau
> Ponty have long fascinated me. I think JF you are thinking of
> someone
> else on another list, since you contribute on the philsophy of
> history
> on those lists while at the same time CB cross-posts from those very
> same lists to this list (for example this thread on the playboy
> philosopher, which seems to have sprung up already fully discussed
> somewhere else).

I had your posts confused with the individual who
posts on Marxmail as "Ruthless Critic of All
That Exists".  He was the one who got Sartre's
position on Hungary.  However, that is not
to deny that in the early 1950s, had been
very much an uncritical supporter of the
Soviet Union and Stalin.  It was Khrushchev's
1956 speech at the 20th Party Congress
on Stalin that seems to have
removed the scales from his eyes.
In a broader sense Sartre remained