Tuesday, December 23, 2008
Daniel Howes
Commentary: America cares little about fate of Detroit's Big Three

Forget the politicians and their calculated "rescue" of Detroit's automakers.
They won't be the ones who save, or kill, the Big Three where it matters most
-- in the marketplace.

It'll be the real people, would-be customers who decide to give General Motors
Corp. metal another look or who credit Ford's Blue Oval for trying to make it
without federal help. Or it'll be the people who long ago gave up on Detroit,
who conflate bad experiences of a generation ago into sweeping condemnations of
the companies today.

I bring this up now because the bailout debate, punctuated by President George
W. Bush's decision to throw the automakers a $17.4 billion lifeline, is
delivering Detroit more attention than it wants or needs. And government
largesse for GM and Chrysler LLC will keep this complex, politicized
restructuring in front of taxpayers for months to come.

Which means those inside the Detroit Bubble eager to remind folks on the
outside that the automakers were FDR's "Arsenal of Democracy," that Detroit
"created the middle class, and that an independent, U.S.-owned auto industry is
an economic cornerstone may find most of the Bigger America doesn't agree and
doesn't much care.

Yes, federal officials are lending GM and Chrysler help, but they are clearly
doing so while holding their collective noses with one hand and wagging their
fingers with the other. Could it be that the politicians know their
constituents are as fatigued by Detroit's troubles as the rest of us mired in
this morass?

Readers periodically e-mail objections to suggestions (from me and others) of
an anti-Detroit Auto bias around the country. After the inquisitions called
congressional hearings, the misinformed sanctimony from members of the
California, New York and Massachusetts delegations and the snide slaps of
Senate Republicans from the South, I'm not at all sure the e-mailers have much
(if any?) evidence to buttress their point.

Then, in today's e-mail, arrives more data to bolster mine: A CNN-Opinion
Research poll reports that 70 percent of 1,013 Americans polled over the
weekend said they opposed extending any additional aid to Detroit's automakers
beyond March 31.

Even as two-thirds said a bankruptcy of one or more automakers would be "a
crisis" or would cause "major problems," more than 80 percent said an automaker
bankruptcy would cause "minor problems" or "no problems at all" for their
personal financial situation. And 65 percent said they would not be likely to
consider buying a car from a bankrupt automaker.

Translation: Detroit, you're on your own, though I'm not at all sure the
message is resonating where it matters most.

'A way of life' under siege
Over the weekend, I ran into a prominent, thoughtful and recently retired
Detroit auto executive out with his family for a holiday dinner. Amid the
handshakes he looked at me and matter-of-factly said, "We're dismantling a way
of life."

He's right. But how many people in your workplace or neighborhood or school
district realize it? Do they understand that the culture defined by Big Three
salaries, benefits, expectations, vacation schedules -- where else in the
country do people get a four-day weekend around Easter? -- will be torn apart
over the next three months because it has to be?

And if it isn't -- if United Auto Workers brass can call in enough political
chits with congressional Democrats and Team Obama to keep from having to ask
their members to vote on wage cuts and work rule changes next year -- what
guarantee is there that it won't happen in bankruptcy anyway? None.

On Sunday, an e-mail landed from Robert F. in Marin County, Calif. "Hello from
the Left Coast," he began. "Here in California we don't much care about Ford,
GM, Chrysler. We gave up on them years ago, (and) the rest of the country is
following California's lead."

A view from the 'Left Coast'
I read on, marveling (but not surprised) that decades-old experiences with a
'67 Olds Cutlass, an '81 Dodge Omni, a '91 Jeep and a '99 Ford Contour shaped a
mind-set that Detroit probably could not break, no matter what it does. Add,
too, his self-described "gold standard" -- "the '98 Camry LE I sold with
226,000 miles, with only a starter motor replacement at 180,000."

"Quite honestly, it does not matter to the Left Coast if they all go bankrupt
and take that greedy UAW with their incessant petty work-rule nonsense with
them," he wrote. "Those idiots shut down GM in the summer over some ridiculous
issues totally oblivious to the disaster upcoming."

Yes, Robert, they did.

"Good luck," he added. "You will need it."

Yes, that too. A more contemporary understanding of Detroit's new metal also
would help, but that's probably too much to expect when generalizations rooted
in personal experience can suffice -- and show Detroit, yet again, just how
problematic its revival truly will be among fellow Americans.

Daniel Howes' column runs Tuesdays, Thursdays and Fridays. He can be reached at
(313) 222-2106, dcho...@detnews.com or detnews.com/howes.

This message has been scanned for malware by SurfControl plc.
www.surfcontrol.com