Erwin Marquit:
Engels is not arguing that imaginary numbers should not be used.
He is arguing against their mystification.
In my view, the complex plane (real and imaginary axes) has a
one-to-one
correspondence with a two-dimensional vector space, so their logical
structure is identical, which is why the complex plane can be used for

mathematical derivations of the properties of physically real systems,

Erwin

^^^
CB:

Exactly ! Demystification came to me this morning as I was thinking
about this The book you have at Marxist Educational Press is _Marx
demystifies calculus_

<nmg...@xxxxxxxxx>
>writes:
>> Dear friend and comrade Jim Farmelant:
>>
>> I am afraid that Engels did not poke fun, as you say, at
>> multidimensional spaces or imaginary numbers themselves, but at
>> their
>> usage as a "proof" that there exists Another World.
>>
>> In this sense, you are unfair with him.
>
>The way I read Engels's essay, he did indeed make
>fun of imaginary numbers in the following passage:
>
>"It is the same with mathematics. The ordinary metaphysical
>mathematicians boast with enormous pride of the absolute
>irrefutability
>of the results of their science. But these results include also
>imaginary magnitudes, which thereby acquire a certain reality. When
>one
>has once become accustomed to ascribe some kind of reality outside of
>our minds to v-1, or to the fourth dimension, then it is not a matter
>of
>much importance if one goes a step further and also accepts the
spirit
>world of the mediums. It is as Ketteler said about DÃllinger[7]: âThe
>man has defended so much nonsense in his life, he really could have
>accepted infallibility into the bargain!â "
>
>As I said before, Engels's grasp of mathematics left something
>to be desired (Marx, on the other hand, seems to have had
>a better handle on that subject including what were then
>the latest developments in the foundations of the calculus).
>Having said that, Engels did have a very exceptionable
>grasp of the natural sciences of his time, such that
>the Harvard philosopher of science, Hilary Putnam,
>used to call Engels the "most learned man of the nineteenth century."
>

>Certainly, one of the other essays included in *The Dialectics
>of Nature*,"The Part Played by Labor in the Transition from Ape to
>Man,"
>is deservedly revered as a work of genius, despite the fact that
>Engels
>cast his reasoning in Lamarckian terms.
>
>Stephen Jay Gould in his book, *Ever Since Darwin*, wrote:
>
>"Indeed, the nineteenth century produced a brilliant exposà from a
>source
>that will no doubt surprise most readers - Frederick Engels. (A bit
of
>reflection should diminish surprise. Engels had a keen interest in
the
>natural sciences and sought to base his general philosophy of
>dialectical
>materialism upon a 'positive' foundation. He did not live to complete
>his
>'dialectics of nature', but he included long commentaries on science
>in
>such treatises as the Anti-DÃhring.) In 1876, Engels wrote an essay
>entitled, The Part Played by Labour in the Transition from Ape to
Man.
>It
>was published posthumously in 1896 and, unfortunately, had no visible
>impact upon Western science.
>
>"Engels considers three essential features of human evolution:
speech,