This is off-topic, but since this is a GNU-Mailman mailing list and
since so many of the members belong to many discussion lists, this
should be a decent place to submit my question.

I subscribe to numerous yahoo groups, and even have two of my own.  I
also subscribe to several Mailman mailing lists, including this one,
of course.  Unlike yahoo, there is no overall listing of discussion
lists for Mailman that I know about.

Other services that host discussion lists that I've been on are
topica and googlegroups.  I can't think of any others I've been
involved with, outside of university-based listservs.

In sum:

Yahoo! Groups
  http://groups.yahoo.com/

Mailman, the GNU Mailing List Manager
http://www.gnu.org/software/mailman/index.html

Google Groups
http://groups.google.com

Topica
http://lists.topica.com/

I'm asking myself, should I choose to start new groups in addition to
groups already established, which service should use? Are there pros
and cons of each I have not taken into consideration?