Interesting that Rosa should mention
Lamarckianism in this context, as
I have argued that culture and
language give humans a Lamarckian-like
adaptive mechanism. Culture and language
, symboling, allow inheritance of
acquired, extra-somatic , characteristics.

CB

The 'Lamarckian' Origin Of Speech

On a related topic, despite the fact that most of what Parrington and Holborow
say undermines the role that language plays in communication -- reinforcing the
view that language serves to 'represent' things to us in our heads (even if
this process is filtered through our own idiosyncrasies, social situations,
prevailing ideologies, etc., etc.) --, they appear to believe that human beings
developed language because of a "need to communicate". This is how Holborow
puts it:

"The genesis of language is in human labour…. Communication is not therefore
just one of the functions of language; on the contrary, language presupposes
both logically and de facto the interaction among people. Language only arises
from the need to communicate with other humans. It is quintessentially social."
[Holborow (1999), p.20.]

Parrington clearly concurs:

"Crucially labour…developed within a co-operative and social context. It was
this that led, through the need to communicate while engaging in co-operative
labour, to the rise of the second specifically human attribute -- language."
[Parrington (1997), p.122.]88

While I do not wish to question the role that co-operative labour has played in
the development of language and thought (quite the opposite, in fact), several
other aspects of the above quotations seem highly dubious, especially the idea
that human beings invented language because of a "need to communicate". To be
sure, we use language to communicate, but the claim that this arose because of
a specific need to do so is highly questionable -- except, that is, for
Lamarckians.

Of course, the word "need" is ambiguous itself. We use it in a variety of
different ways. Consider just a few of these:

N1: That cake needs more sugar.

N2: This strike needs widening.

N3: Car owners need to put oil in their engines.

N4: We need a pay rise.

N5: The giraffe needs a long neck to browse tall trees.

N6: That drunk needs to go home.

N7: Plants need water.

N8: The state needs to be smashed and the ruling class needs overthrowing.

N9: Tony Blair and George W Bush need prosecuting as war criminals.

N10: Comrades need to shout louder on paper sales.89

Precisely which of the above senses of "need" these two comrades were using is
unclear -- several of them relate to what can only be called felt needs, or
conscious needs (e.g., N4, and possibly N2), expressed perhaps as part of an
agent's aims, goals or intentions. Others refer to the causal concomitants or
prerequisites of a flourishing organism, successful revolution, strike,
comeuppance for Bush and Blair, paper sales or well-run engines -- all of which
are largely, if not totally, unfelt. Some of course, cannot be felt.

Nevertheless, it is patently obvious that human beings could not have invented
language as a result of a felt "need to communicate" (unless, that is, we
assume they could think before they had developed language -- which would
naturally imply that thought is not a social phenomenon, dependent on
collective labour), since such a need would presuppose the very thing it was
aimed at explaining. The idea that this type of necessity mothered that sort of
invention would imply that the first human beings to talk had earlier formed
the thought: "I/We need to communicate" (or something equivalent in their
proto-language). Clearly, such a felt need to communicate could only be
expressed if language already existed. On the other hand, if the thought (or
its equivalent) that supposedly  motivated the "need to communicate" was not in
fact linguistic, then little content can be given to the notion that human
beings once possessed such a need without being able to
 give voice to it. Indeed, how would it be possible to form the thought "We
need to communicate" if the individual or individuals concerned had no idea
(yet) what communication was. That would be like saying that we can (now) form
the thought "We need to schmunicate" when none of has a clue what "schmunicate"
means. [In fact, it is worse, since we are already sophisticated language
users.]

It could be objected to this that such a need could be a biological one
(analogous to that expressed, say, in N5). However, there are two problems with
this response. First, reference to the biological needs of organisms to explain
the origin of adaptation is Lamarckian, not Darwinian. Secondly, and far worse,
this alternative in fact completely undermines the view that language is a
social phenomenon.89a