In this famous passage, Marx
distinguishes human labor from
that of animals by the existence
of imagination, plan and purpose.
This fits with the very interesting
wikipedia article on culture, which
claims that human children's learning
in imitation of adults is focused
on learning the intent and mental purpose
of the adult, in contrast with
chimp children who focus on the
objective activities of the adult
they imitate.

If Marx is correct about the
the uniqueness of imagination
and mental purpose in the human
labor process, this supports the
idea that that process is mediated
by symbols unlike animal labor
processes.

Charles

^^^^^

"We pre-suppose labour in a form that stamps it as exclusively human. A spider
conducts operations that resemble those of a weaver, and a bee puts to shame
many an architect in the construction of her cells. But what distinguishes the
worst architect from the best of bees is this, that the architect raises his
structure in imagination before he erects it in reality. At the end of every
labour-process, we get a result that already existed in the imagination of the
labourer at its commencement. He not only effects a change of form in the
material on which he works, but he also realises a purpose of his own that
gives the law to his modus operandi, and to which he must subordinate his will.
And this subordination is no mere momentary act. Besides the exertion of the
bodily organs, the process demands that, during the whole operation, the
workman’s will be steadily in consonance with his purpose. This means close
attention. The less he is attracted by the
 nature of the work, and the mode in which it is carried on, and the less,
therefore, he enjoys it as something which gives play to his bodily and mental
powers, the more close his attention is forced to be."