In a message dated 2/28/2009 5:50:26 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
_cdb1...@prodigy.net_ (mailto:cdb1...@prodigy.net)  writes:

Waistline2 Obama as a "uniter" is an interesting Marxist approach.

^^^^^ CB: Marxist as in Workers of all nations and races , unite !

^^^^^

Perhaps if all of  us was raised by a white parent and white  grandparents,
we too would be "uniters."

^^^^^ CB: Makes sense. It would engender need for unity on a personal level
for peace of mind. His mother seems to have taught him Black history type
respect for Black people. He seems to have somewhat consciously constructed a
Black identity of high integrity. Going to the hood to live, like an
anthropologist joining his own culture. Now he's an interesting character. To
coin a
phrase, he seems to be in the Presidential world , but not of it. Somehow  he
comes across as confident in the sense of not worried, in the face of an
extraordinary mess but not arrogant and not aloof. Engaged with horrific
crises,
but not scared and  not in the bliss of ignorance. I'm like "more power to  ya,
Barry". So far, so good.

********

Comment/Reply

I tend to prefer a Marxist approach rather than psychological speculation
and race theory.

To conceive Obama personality traits as a call for  "Workers of all  nations
and races , unite !" is an interesting proposition. Further, I reject  the
concept that humanity is divided into races. I am convince with every fiber  of
my being that those who cling to race and its usage will inevitably fail to
approach issues from a class point of view, because a false theory of biology
cannot be reconciled with a science of class and economic relations. Obama
does not unite back and white people, devoid of any class conception of
society.

Pardon, but whites in America are not united amongst themselves because
class - economic interest, stratification, status and perception of class,
divides them and have always divided them, along with a morality of "what is
right
and wrong" about our society ills.  Barack's personal qualities,  which I most
certainly have never ignored, which cast him a "uniter," is a class  thing
also: to unite or maintain the polarizing unity that is the productive  forces
and social relations of American society.

That is his J.O.B.

Obama's personal cool has more in common with Frank Sinatra rather than
Miles Davis with the latter expressing a contempt and demeanor characteristic
of
the black middle class militant profoundly aware of the structural barriers of
 Jim Crow. Personal qualities are important but should not overshadowed
class;  and in Obama case, his set of polices designed to protect the unity of
the
productive forces and social relations. The race to the bottom, has nothing
to  do with biological race, and will not stopped or be halted by any of
Obama's  polices. The character of who hits bottom first, from the standpoint
of the
 color factor, is rooted in slavery and its aftermath.

It is interesting to state that Obama went to live in the hood, when most
Negroes in America were born in the "hood." The point being that this
"anthropologist joining his own culture," is why the story of the American
Dream  is
shaped a certain why in Obama's hands. Me think we both agree and are saying
the same thing, from different directions in respect to the personality of
Obama. The stark different in our direction is that I tend to try and write
specifically from the standpoint of class; class intersection, classes amongst
whites and blacks and how in this intersection communist fight the daily
battles
of the proletarian masses.

Class and communism are words generously used in everything I write.

Our J.O.B., regardless to who is President is to fight for the victory of
the workers, or whatever section of them are in motion, in the current
struggle;
 in the daily battle for concession and to acquire socially necessary means
of  life in all their dimensions. All the while we remain true to Marx approach
to  class. The reason why is to establish an economic communist polarity that
 demands socially necessary means of life as a birth right.

Socially necessary means of life as a birth right. This is the path that is
easiest to walk. The only way for people without money, or little money, to
secure these socially necessary means of life is for, the government to give
such to them. There is simply no other way. If you work and still cannot  pay
your bills or care for your family, what is one to do? Put on a ski mask and
hide behind a tree waiting on some other proletarian with the same problems?
Stick up a bank?

To the degree that Obama's legislative mandates intersect with this demand
is the degree to which his concessions and possible reforms are to be welcomed.
 This does not require communists to be torn from our line of march and
preaching  the gospel of class and economic communism.

On this basis a huge section of the American proletariat, employed and
unemployed will gravitate towards our economic and political pole, rather than
merge directly with a political section of the bourgeoisie.

***********

^^^^^ CB:  Maybe sort of half, but the other half is pretty American  native.
I will say that he's sort of like "a brother from another planet". More  like
an "immigrant" from ancient Egypt or something, somekind of higher
civilization than America. His mother was an anthropologist, and he lived in
Indonesia
for a while, which might give him some ability to view American  culture
objectively like an immigrant, but his grandfather was a traveling  salesman
and
his grandmother worked in a bank, real regular Americans from  Kansas

He's _sui generis_, a phenomon, breaking through a new "quantitative
boundry" in personality type. He's got a lot of character, and, well../\.
intelligence social intelligence and abstract intelligence.

^^^^^^^^

Comment/Reply

OK . . . Obama is:

1). "sort of like "a brother from another planet". More like an "immigrant"
from ancient Egypt or something, some kind of higher civilization than
America."

2).  "consciously constructed a Black identity of high integrity."

3).  "Going to the hood to live, like an anthropologist joining his  own
culture."

4).  "Now he's an interesting character. To coin a phrase, he seems to  be in
the Presidential world , but not of it. Somehow he comes across as  confident
in the sense of not worried, in the face of an extraordinary mess but  not
arrogant and not aloof."

I think it is a serious mistake to imply that Obama or anyone else comes
from a higher civilization. We most certainly are saying the same kind of
thing
in respect to the immigrant quality of the story President Obama  articulates
as the American Dream. It seems you may have thought I was saying  that Obama
is not black or African American. Sorry if my writing caused that  kind of
confusion.

In a few words, Obama articulates the immigrant quality of the American
Dream and adopts the historical character of the "carpet bagger," the "do
gooder," to work amongst the natives, so to speak. This is not a bad thing, but
 part
of the logic of American history and society. There will always be  carpet
baggers, of whom I am one. I did my "southern tour" of duty as a Tanned  Yankee
or the infamous Northern Negro. ;-)

Still, the world in which Obama as President resides, that he is not only
"of" but manifest, is rent with class contradiction and emerging antagonism. "A

brother from another planet" . . .  me think this statement is profoundly
accurate.

Obama: the brother from another planet.

Our brother from another planet  . . . (wow!!!) . . . . is proposing a  set
of legislative mandates aimed at reforming the capitalist system, which  cannot
be reformed. What can be reformed is the institutional relations within  and
between classes.  Where aspects of his mandate intersect with the needs  of
our class is where we push for implementation of such programs. Not out of a
sense of loyalty to Obama but as a function of our ideology and love of our
class.

I was certainly impressed with the honor President Obama bestowed upon
Stevie Wonder and always feel pride when our country and its institutions fully

acknowledge all of our history. Most people in America have had enough of
pretense and the stupidity that accompanies all theories and doctrines of races

amongst humanity. Obama did in fact help sections of America cross the Stevie
Wonder boundary, which a huge cross section of America crossed decades ago.

Still the tiny issue of class remains and will continue to express itself  no
matter how much and who ignores class.

There are certain inherent danger and opportunities involved in all
struggles of our fight for what is decent, honorable and "just plain right to
do,"
and the greatest danger is being subsumed by bourgeois politics and notions
that deny the class logic and structure of American society.

Me think it is not dogmatic to speak of class, classes, and the capitalist
class on a listserv that bills itself as Marxist.

WL.

_http://www.papercut.biz/emailStripper.htm_
(http://www.papercut.biz/emailStripper.htm)
**************Get a jump start on your taxes. Find a tax professional in your