to come to such a reading by way
of Althusser, even though
he rejected Althusserianism.

G.A. Cohen discussed Althusser
in his foreword to KMTH. There,
after detailing some of the
positive contributions of the
Althusserians to Marxism
(which for Cohen included the re-emphasis
on Marx's more mature writings like
*Capital* rather than the earlier
writings like the *1844 Manuscripts*
and the attention that
Althusser and his followers paid to
historical materialism) then
proceeded to note what he regarded
as some of their more negative attributes.

Writing thus:

"Above all, I found much of *Lire Capital* critically vague. It
is perhaps a matter for regret that logical positivism, with its
insistence on precision of intellectual commitment, never
caught on in Paris. Anglophone philosophy left logical positivism
behind long ago, but it is lastingly the better for having engaged
with it. The Althusserian vogue could have unfortunate consequences
for Marxism in Britain, where lucidity is a precious heritage, and
where it is not generally supposed that a theoretical statement,
to be one, must be hard to comprehend."

Alas, one consequence of Cohen's work was to revive the
very sort of mechanical materialism that Althusser had
rejected along with humanist Marxism, but which
the young Jerry Cohen seems to have imbibed along with his
mother's milk, having been born and raised within
the milieu of the Canadian CP. Cohen, himself, years
later, came to see the inadequacy of this type of historical
materialism but seemed to draw the conclusion that the
problem laid with historical materialism in general rather
than with the specific variety of historical materialism
that he had embraced.

Jim Farmelant